Chapter One

Quick disclaimers!!

1. English isn't my first language so I am very sorry if my writing isn't perfect haha

2. I changed Azriel's character a bit from the books, but I did that on purpose, because I want to show how differently he acts because of Asteria (the main character) if that makes sense. Plus we don't really get that much of his character anyways, so I didn't have too much to go off of.

3. There will be some mature contents, such as violence, mental illness and of course smut. 

Anyways thank you for reading hope you enjoy!

~~~

I've been locked up for 2,345 days.  I have nothing to accompany me aside from the unforgiving darkness and the horrifying sounds of the other monsters that are locked up as I am. I stare into the shadows, hugging my knees to my chest. I have given up hope of being saved at this point. No matter how much I screamed or begged or trashed against the stinging chains that are strapped tightly to my wrists, my feet, my neck, no one has come to save me. And no one will.

I deserved to be in here, that much I knew. Even if I hadn't meant to do what I did, it didn't matter. Not even the six years I'd been here was enough to dim the memory of them screaming at my mercy. Of the look of pure undiluted horror in my fathers eyes as he realized what I had done. I shuddered, blocking out the thought. 

I closed my eyes, deciding I should finally sleep. I barely slept, despite not having much else to do. My memories taunted me in my sleep, even more than they did while I was awake. The memory of my father murdering my mother. The memory of losing control. The memory of my father throwing me in here. I wasn't sure I had a single good memory. 

I waited for sleep to claim me, focusing on my breathing. Until I felt a shift in the air. My eyes snapped open, looking around frantically, trying to figure out what it was I'd felt. Shadows, different then the usual darkness that consumed my vision seemed to swirl in the air. 

"Is someone there?" I breathed, my voice a raspy whisper from disuse. The sound was so small even I barely heard it.

"What are you?" a cold voice I had never heard before said. I flinched, utterly shocked. No one ever came down here. Maybe I was imagining it. There was no body, just the swirl of shadows to accompany the strange yet somehow familiar voice I'd heard. I sighed. Of course I had imagined it. Perhaps I was finally going insane. I squeezed my eyes shut once more.

"Who are you?" The voice suddenly spoke. I gasped.

...

It had been 3 days since the shadows stopped obeying him. It happened out of nowhere; one moment, they were answering to him, as they had been for years. 

Until they started screaming at him. Save her, they screamed, urgency and panic in their voice. "Save who?" Azriel asked them. They ignored his question. Save her save her save her save her... "Stop it!"  Azriel hissed, swatting at his shadows as they swarmed around his head. Once again, the shadows ignored him, repeating the two words with increasing volume and desperation. 

Azriel clutched at his hair, urging the shadows to stop. He didn't understand what was happening. They had never turned on him, not since he'd learnt how to master them. "STOP!" He yelled, his tone laced with panic.