Chapter Two

Days had passed since I had heard the mysterious voice. I had spent every hour of them contemplating what it could have been. The logical part of my brain told me it was a dream, or maybe even a hallucination. It wouldn't be unusual if my mind was finally turning against itself, if I was going mad at last after six years in the dark, six years in complete isolation.

And yet, I was sure that it hadn't been either of those things. The voice had seemed so... real. I didn't know how else to explain it, but some part of me just knew that it had been there, that it had been searching for me, somehow. I sighed, the stone floor cold beneath me as I lay atop it, staring upwards. Even if it was real, it didn't really matter. The voice hadn't appeared again. Neither had the swirling shadows.

I jumped when I heard three pairs of footsteps. It was rare that anyone came into the Prison, though it did occur from time to time. But never this close to my cell. 

No, those footsteps where coming towards my cell. I panicked. They were finally coming to kill me. That had to be it.  My father had grown tired of me being in this world, and had sent soldiers to end my existence. Despite not having much reason to live, I didn't want to die, I decided. Too bad, I told myself. I was completely defenseless. I was chained in faebane, and was also given it through food, so there was no using my power. And although I was once a rather skilled fighter, I wasn't sure I remembered anything after all these years. Not to mention how weak my body had become, always on the verge of death.

"I think it's just around here." That was it. The voice I'd heard. I had been right. It truly had been there. The voice was now coming towards me, I realized. I knew I should be afraid, bracing myself to meet my end, and yet I was not. I might have even been hopeful, if I remembered how to feel such a thing.

 "If you say so." I froze. I had been right again. It was my father. He was coming to kill me. 

Three figures came into view. Two had wings. The first had red glowing stones all over him, glowing against the darkness. The other winged male had similar stones, though his were blue. In between them was my father. Except he looked... different. His eyes were less cruel, perhaps. He looked younger, too. It's still him, I reminded myself sharply.

They all stopped upon seeing me. The three males were heavily armed, all in Illyrian leathers. All of them looked deadly. I took in each one of them now that I could see them a bit clearer, thanks to the two males glowing stones. The red one, the one with longer hair than the other two, stared at me in shock. Beside him, my father's expression was similar, though he looked confused as well. As if he hadn't been the one to throw me in here. He was probably surprised to find me to still be alive.  Anger spread through my veins like a wildfire. 

I looked to the last male, the blue one. His hazel eyes were wide. My gaze lingered on him longer than I should have allowed. I'd never seen him before. Nor had I seen the long haired male, but there was something about this one that made it hard to look away. He was the owner of the voice I had heard. I didn't know how, but I just knew.

"What's your name?" My father asked. I snapped my eyes to him, my rage increasing. What the hell was he playing at? Why was he pretending not to know me? Why hadn't he killed me yet?

"Let me out," I snapped, pulling against my chains, hardly feeling the intensifying burning against my skin. I had gotten used to the familiar stinging by now. "Please. I promise I won't do it again. It was an accident, I swear." I begged. A plan was already forming in my mind. I didn't think it would work- my father was anything but merciful. But he looked merciful right now. Maybe he's changed. Maybe he would let me out.

And then I would kill him. Powers or no powers.

He took a step forward. "Rhys you cant't let her out." One of the other males, the one with the red stones, said. Confusion overtook my mind. Rhys? Who the hell was Rhys?

The third male, the one who had spoken to me days ago stepped forward, his eyes on mine.   "Are you going to hurt us?" He asked in an oddly soft voice.

Yes. "No" I breathed. The male turned toward my father- Rhys? I didn't know. He nodded. Darkness erupted from my father. It crept through the bars of my cell, around my chains. With a bit of struggle they broke. I hissed as the fell from my wrists, ankles and neck. I tried using my power. I felt a whisper of it, already returning to me despite all the faebane I'd been given for the past years. It wouldn't be nearly enough. The cell door creaked open. My father stepped through.

He smelled... different. It was almost as if he was a different person. Why was he letting me out? Maybe another war had started, and he needed a weapon. It was the only reasonable explanation I could come up with. It didn't explain why he was being so kind, though.

He extended his hand out to me. I reluctantly  took it, allowing him to help me get up. It hurt. My whole body hurt. I stumbled, unused to holding my own weight up. My father caught me, placing a hand on either of my shoulders. I flinched harshly despite my efforts not to, almost falling over again.

Now or never, I told myself. I looked him over, scanning for weapons, and found a dagger at his side. He looked at me expectantly. His heart was beating rapidly, I could hear it. He was waiting to see what I would do.

He probably didn't think I would attack him. Not without my powers, and with the two other males. Which made this so much easier. I almost laughed at his stupidity. 

I collapsed against him, pretending I couldn't stand- which, to be fair, I kind of couldn't. He caught me immediately, giving me the perfect chance to grab his dagger. In one swift movement, I grabbed it and plunged it into his side. It happened so quickly, neither of the three males registered it until my father screamed. 

I smiled, taking the dagger out and readying to plunge it into him again, this time into his heart. I knew the two males would kill me, but it didn't really matter. At least I had gotten my revenge. And being dead was far more pleasant than being his weapon again. 

I lowered the dagger, aiming the killing blow. It was merely inches away from my target when a blast of blue power hit me, throwing me against the wall. I yelped, pain spreading through my body at the impact. I barely had the chance to get back on my knees when I was knocked down again.

The male, the one whose voice I'd heard was on top of me. I tried to get up, but something was pinning my arms and legs down. Shadows, I realized as I looked at them. He must be a shadowsinger.

The shadowsinger brought  a blade to my throat. It felt cold against my skin. I sighed. "Go ahead. Kill me." I said. His eyes widened with shock, and the pressure he held his blade with slackened. The shadows released me. Gods, were they really that stupid?

I grabbed the males wrist, twisting it with all my strength before pushing him off me, still not letting go. He stumbled, taken aback. I still didn't let his wrist go as he did, causing it to twist too far back, until it cracked. He screamed.

I wasn't sure why I was fighting back, because I was going to die anyway. Any of these males could kill me with ease, no matter how stupid they were. As if to prove my point, the one whose wrist I had just broken threw me on the floor again, the shadows once again pinning me down, harder this time. 

I stared into his hazel eyes. One moment they were cold, icy rage flowing through them. I breathed out, accepting that I was going to die in a few mere moments.

Suddenly, the shadowsingers expression changed. He went from angry, to utter, complete shock. I could have sworn I felt something. I don't know what it was. But something happened. I felt an intense pulling sensation, pulling me towards him.

"No." He breathed, his eyes wide. I faded out of consciousness. 

...

Ok I'm sorry for all the disclaimers but whatever. So I know Rhysand can't actually break someone out of the Prison, especially not that easily, but lets just ignore that hehe. Anyways hope you're enjoying so far.