Chapter Thirteen

I didn't see Azriel for the rest of the night. I danced with Cassian, and when I asked him where the shadowsinger had went he only shrugged. I hoped he didn't notice how often I looked over my shoulder to see if he would emerge from the shadows.

It was well past midnight when we arrived at the House of Wind. Rhys, Mor and Amren had to go to I don't know where to do I don't know what, so only Cassian, and I would be sleeping at the House. I still didn't know where Azriel had went, though.

After saying good night to everyone, I quickly made my way to my rooms. I immediately collapsed onto my bed, too tired to even take off my dress. But upon closing my eyes, I found that all I could think of was Azriel. 

I had been trying to ignore it for the past few weeks, but I wasn't sure I could anymore. There was undeniably something between us, though I did not know what. I could see it in the way he looked at me, the way his eyes shimmered a bit whenever I spoke. But most of all, I could feel it. It felt like his body, his very soul called out to my own. Like no matter how much I denied it, my being knew that it was meant to be with him. I could only wonder if he felt the same, if he felt this connection as intensely as I did. 

I sat up, suddenly in need of fresh air. I walked out onto my balcony, sighing as the cold wind caressed my face. The light in the city below were almost completely extinguished, which made the stars in the night sky all the more visible. I tilted my head back, taking in their beauty. 

"I thought I might find you here."  My dress hissed as I turned around to see Azriel, also wearing his clothes from the Hewn City. I was almost as surprised to see him in my room as I was to see that he was wearing a pleasant expression, instead of his usual blank one. I swallowed, realizing I was staring at him.

"Where were you?" I asked, not sure of what else to say. Azriel took a step, so that he was now next to me on the balcony. It was large, but with both of our bodies and his wings, there wasn't much space separating us. 

"Rhys ordered me to go check on something." He answered, his hazel eyes looking into mine, before lowering to my lips, and then rising back so that our gazes locked. Despite the cold of the night, I felt my face heat. A small smile formed on Azriel's lips.

"You blush a lot," he stated, amusement in his voice. To my horror, that made my face turn even redder, causing him to laugh. I scowled at him. "You are an asshole." I scolded, looking away. I bit down on my lip, fighting a smile of my own.

A few seconds passed, both of us silently looking at the stars that dotted the dark sky. To my surprise, it didn't feel uncomfortable. But I couldn't stop my eyes from venturing to the balcony's railing, where both of Azriel's hands rested. 

"Where did you get your scars?" I asked softly, before I could stop myself. Azriel turned to look at me, and I cursed myself for asking such a personal question. I was about to apologize, but the look in his eyes made me keep my lips pursed. He didn't look angry, or embarrassed as I had expected him too. He only looked contemplative, as if thinking over whether he should tell me. 

"I am the bastard son of a Lord." He started. I watched him patiently, watched as his eyes darkened a bit as he told me his story. "My two half brothers and step mother treated me as such. My step mother she... she locked me in a cell, with no windows or light, for years, only allowing me out for an hour a day. I was allowed to see my mother once a week.

"When I was eight years old, my brothers decided to see what would happen if they put oil on my hands, before lighting them on fire. I was saved by warriors who had heard my screaming, but not in time to save my hands." I couldn't stop my eyes from widening at the horror of his story. I wasn't sure why, but a wave of fierce anger spread through me at his words. How could someone be so cruel? Azriel smiled a bit at me, though it didn't reach his eyes, clearly trying to ease the mood after such a horrible story. "In the end, they got what they deserved." He said softly.