Chapter Sixteen

My head still hurt when I awoke. It was the first thing I registered, before the bright light of the room or the unfamiliar bed. I tried to sit up, hissing in pain as I did. The events of last night came back to me in a blur, from what had happened with Azriel to my encounter with Balekin's father.

My thoughts drifted to the former, who was nowhere to be seen. By the strong scent of him in the room, and especially in the sheets I'd slept in, this was likely his private home. The room wasn't very decorated. It was neat, too neat for my liking. The walls were bare, and a light grey color. The bed I was in, his bed, was large, taking up nearly half the room. It was likely to accommodate his wings, I guessed.

My eyes then fell on the nightstand on the left side of the bed. It was completely bare, except for one small item. I then realized it was the ring I had gifted him on Solstice.

"How are you feeling?" His familiar voice sounded as he walked though the door. My eyes shifted to him. His face was wary, his eyes not matching the small smile on his lips. Though his voice was neutral, there was a slight edge to it I couldn't decide if I was imagining.

"Better." I said. It was true, I was definitely feeling better than I was last night. There was still a throb in my arm, and in my head, but it was nothing compared to the pain I'd felt last night. My back ached violently, though. "Where did you sleep?" I ask.

"I didn't. You were sick all night." Azriel said, his expression turning puzzled. "You were burning up. Then you started to have dreams... you really don't remember?" I shook my head. Azriel only hummed in response, and silence fell again.

"Your room is... bright." I blurted out. Azriel gave me another confused look. "I don't know. I just expected it to be more dark." I added with a shrug.

"You don't like the dark. So I left the curtains open." He said like it was no big deal. I blinked at him. "How the hell do you know those things?" I demanded. The winnowing was more understandable. I didn't particularly try to hide my dislike for it. But I had never told anyone of my fear of the dark, or ever let it show. So how did he know? How did he always know?

"I'm spymaster. It's my job to notice things." He said. I nodded, though I was sure that wasn't all. I was willing to let it go for now, at least. "We need to go to the House. Rhysand is probably worried." Right. Rhysand. The person I had been trying to avoid last night. I was honestly surprised Azriel had obeyed my requests to not tell him.

"Why didn't you want him to know?" Azriel questioned, as if reading my thoughts. I sighed, rubbing my temples with my fingers. "Because he would never let me go on another mission." "Maybe he shouldn't." Azriel muttered. I wasn't sure I was supposed to hear it, but it pissed me off nonetheless.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I snapped. Azriel's jaw clenched, his hazel eyes darkening.

"It means you need to be more careful." He responded, his voice irritatingly calm.

"Oh so what happened was my fault?"

Azriel sighed, running a hand through his hair. "No. That's not what I meant." He said. I crossed my arms, looking at him expectantly, waiting for him to say what I knew he was thinking. "Just try not to have so much wine next time." He murmured. I scoffed.

"Oh fuck off. I was definitely not the one who was distracted last night." I hissed. Azriel's eyes widened, a fire igniting in them. "What is that supposed to mean?" He challenged, taking two steps closer to the bed. He rested his hands on the bed frame, so that he was leaning over me.

I bit the inside of my cheek, heat spreading through my body. We stared each other down, both of us refusing to give in and let the other claim the victory. Azriel's eyes trailed from my eyes to my lips to my neck. The neck he'd kissed only hours ago. He seemed to recall it too, because that hunger bloomed in his eyes.