Chapter Three

"What the fuck just happened." Cassian asked no one in particular. Azriel panted, still leaning over the now unconscious girl. "We have to get her back to the House of Wind. Now." Rhys said, his hand on his stab wound. It was already  beginning to heal. "You really wanna save her? She literally just tried to kill you." The general said. Rhys only shook his head. 

"Lets just go. Az, carry her, will you?" Rhysand said. Azriel stared at the girl. It couldn't be true. And yet, he had felt it. It had been so intense, so powerful...

It is true. A shadow whispered in his ear. He shuddered."Azriel?" Rhys's voice snapped him out of his trance. He swallowed, nodding. Cassian helped Rhysand to his feet, muttering something. 

Ever so carefully, Azriel lifted the girls delicate body off the floor, his wrist throbbing. She was much stronger than she looked. He looked at her face as he walked after Cassian and Rhysand, whose gazes were also fixed on the girl in his arms. Her resemblance to Rhysand was enormous,  yet she was different. Her skin was much, much paler, though that could be because of the lack of sunlight in her cell. Her features were more delicate than his brothers as well, her lips a bit plumper, her eyes rounder.

She was absolutely devastating. 

"Why would she attack you?" Azriel asked softly as they walked through the Prison, his voice coming out as weak as he felt. Rhys shook his head, his hand still on his bloodied side. "I don't know. It looked almost like... she recognized me." 

"Just look into her mind. Then you can see who she is, and why she wants to kill you." Cassian suggested, shrugging. "You know I won't do that." Rhys whispered, although he sounded like he wanted to.

Azriel looked down at her once more, wondering if he should tell Rhysand what had just happened. Later, he told himself. Once they found out who she was. 

...

I awoke in a light room. That was the first thing I noticed, the presence of sunlight, swimming in through a window on the wall to my right. It was so nice I almost smiled, cherishing the warmth I had missed so much as it kissed my skin. Then everything that had happened came back to me. 

My father had come for me, I remembered. I stabbed him. I smiled a bit. Then I remembered how the male had attacked me, how I'd broken his wrist. How his eyes had widened and filled with astonishment when something had happened between us. 

I quickly realized I was lying in a bed, the mattress unbelievably soft under my body. I tried to sit up, but realized my wrists were tied to the bed. Not faebane, I noted with some relief. That relief was gone in an instant when I realized what it was. Shadows. I snapped my eyes up, and surely, the shadowsinger was in the corner of the room, leaning against the wall, his eyes fixed on me. His face was completely expressionless, a mask of cold indifference. His eyes, however, did not match that expression. They were filled with a thousand emotions I could not even begin to explain.

Beside him was the other male who had freed me, his expression confused and slightly amused, for whatever reason I didn't feel like considering. Sitting in a chair on the other side of the room, sat a beautiful blonde female. Her eyes widened when we made eye contact. I quickly averted my gaze, turning to the male who was the closest to where I was laying; my father.

I flinches against my restraints as wrath and fear filled my body. I hadn't expected him to die, not from a simple blade to the side of his abdomen. I should have gone straight for the heart.

"Where am I?" I asked, not caring how sharp and unused my voice sounded. My father winced.

"In the House of Wind. Whats your name?" He asked, his voice soft. What the actual fuck? I narrowed my eyes. "You know my name." I snapped back. Confusion overtook his face.