Chapter Eight

I awoke to a banging on my door. I groaned. Today was supposed to be my day off. It had been two weeks of attending training with both Rhysand and Cassian, both of whom  wore me down until I was on the verge of tears every single day. My entire body ached, from my head, to the smallest finger on my toe. I hadn't slept for more than six consecutive hours in Cauldron knew how long.

The banging continued, growing more impatient. "What?!" I yelled.

"Rhysand is asking for you in the meeting room. Now." Amren yelled. I groaned once more, stuffing a pillow onto my face. "Do not make me go in there, girl." She threatened. It was enough to make me sit up, forcing myself to open my eyes. "I'll be there in ten minutes." 

When I was ready, I walked to the meeting room and found that to my surprise, everyone was in there.

"Finally! Oh you poor thing, you look awful. What have you two been doing to this poor girl!" Mor chirped, as if she wasn't insulting me. I sighed, already grumpy. Cassian snickered, and Rhys smiled at me. "Thank you, so much, Mor." I said sarcastically. The blonde female didn't seem to notice, or care, at my sarcasm, because she muttered a your welcome, as if she'd truly done me a favor. I suppressed a smile. Rhysand cleared his throat, and everyone turned to him. 

"As you've all heard, there has been another attack, in the woods outside Velaris." I had known, but the words still hit me. It was the fourth attack in the past month, and yet they had no information on who the attackers were, or what they were after. 

"I've decided to put someone on it, to go to the scene and further investigate what's happened." Rhysands eyes turned to me. "Asteria. If you're up for it, I would like to send you." My face lit up. An actual mission? The High Lord of the Night Court wanted to send me to investigate something? I was about to tell him that I would love to, when someone robbed me of the chance.

"Absolutely not." Azriel said, his voice cold as ever. I snapped my eyes towards him, but he wasn't looking at me. No, he was looking at the High Lord, a slightly terrifying look on his face. Rhys looked confused, but Cassian quickly spoke up. "We've both been training her for weeks, Az. Her fighting is almost impeccable, and her powers are even better. She'll be fine." He said. Azriel turned his gaze to Cassian, who winced. 

The general of the Illyrian legions, infamously know as the Lord of Bloodshed, actually winced.   I swallowed.

"She isn't ready. She's been training for only weeks-" Azriel began, but I cut him off, anger bubbling under my skin. I let some of it show in my eyes. 

"I have not been training for weeks, Azriel. I have been training since I was three years old." I snapped, my voice as cold as his own. He turned his murderous gaze to me, and it took everything in me not to cower at it. 

"Still. Whoever these people are, they're cold blooded killers, and you're-"

"I'm what? A clueless little girl, who doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about?" I challenged, referencing the fight we'd had a few weeks ago. Which had ended in me throwing him against the wall.

"Oh, here we go again." Cassian muttered. Azriel shot him a cold glance, and he sank into his chair.

"You don't understand what your up against." Azriel hissed. 

"How would you know that? You don't know a thing about me."

"Oh really? Do enlighten me on your terrifying past." My vision turned red.

"You do not get to tell my what to do. Stop acting like you give a shit what the hell happens to me." A hurt look passed over Azriel's face as if saying I do care, but it was gone so quickly I was certain it had never been there.