Stunned Silence

Defense Against The Dark Arts was admittedly a subject Yeji didn't excel in as much as potions, but still one she found awfully fascinating and, she reckoned, equally as useful to know. However once she reached her classroom her heart sank. There sitting in the corner of the classroom already was Shin Ryujin. Yeji noticed that the other students had each left at least one desk between themselves and the Slytherin student. Knowing the rumours would have definitely reached the majority of their year group by now, if not the whole school, she knew no one would fill those empty seats.

So, taking a deep breath, she timidly walked over and sat down at the desk next to the girl. Ryujin didn't seem to notice her, or at least made no effort to show that she had. And hesitantly the other seats in front of her was taken as well.

Suddenly in stormed Professor Jeon, the new Professor this year, his dark robes billowing out behind him. Yeji had once heard the position of Defense Against The Dark Arts was jinxed which is why they seemed to have a new professor each year, however she personally didn't really see how a teaching position could be forever cursed anyway.

"Right, don't bother sitting down everyone." He bellowed, "We're going to be dueling today so I need all the desks cleared away."

Excitedly everyone leapt from their seats and pushed the tables to one side, Professor Jeon waving his wand to stack the chairs away before everyone gathered in a huddle on the other side of the room.

"Right," he said once everything was cleared. "Does anyone know the name of the spell you would cast in order to stun your opponent?"

There were a few mutters about the room before someone stuck up their hand.

"Yes." Professor Jeon said, pointing to them.

"Stupify." The answer came, Yeji recognizing the deep tone to be Felix's voice.

"Correct!" Professor Jeon exclaimed. "So today, as you may have guessed, we shall be learning how to properly stun an opponent." Excited whispers wafted about the still air as the Professor unclipped his cape and hung it up behind him in one swift motion.

"Can I have two volunteers please." He said, "How about you," he pointed to Felix, "And... you young man." He motioned at Hyunjin who was standing silently to this side of the room. Felix nervously waddled out, a determined look on his face and Yeji chuckled quietly, a Hufflepuff through and through, she thought. Hyunjin then came striding behind him, his sleeves rolled up and his blue and silver tie hanging loosely round his neck.

"Now hold your wands up and follow me." Professor Jeon said in a commanding tone, unfortunately he seemed to like showing rather than telling, which was something Yeji found difficult. She would much rather a set of instructions was handed to her but she supposed this way made lessons more entertaining. Suddenly she heard him shout.

"Stupefy!" casting the spell with a flick of his wrist, red sparks shot out of his wand towards one of the mannequins on the far side of the room. The class gasped and Yeji noticed Felix flinch slightly as the mannequin fell backward haphazardly.

"Now you try." The Professor said, pointing at the remaining mannequins.

Both boys tried shouting "Stupefy!" in union, flicking their wrists in the same manner. Red sparks flickering out of Hyunjin's wand and hitting the left hand mannequin in the legs. Meanwhile Felix's wand failed to produce anything.

"Well done." Professor Jeon smiled. "What's your name?"

"Hyunjin, sir."

"Hyunjin, excellent. Now you," he pointed to Felix. "Try again. But make your wand motion quicker." He added. So Felix tried again.