Home For The Holidays

AN: Apologies for the chapter mix up, I posted the wrong part. This is the final chapter so I hope you enjoy!

It was now the last day of term when most of the school were either eating breakfast or packing up ready to leave. But despite her scrambled eggs on toast, Yeji could feel a pit opening at the bottom of her stomach. It was a strange feeling just standing around. She had packed all of her belongings yesterday and now she was simply waiting around for the train to come and take her home.

In order to give a purpose to her aimless wondering, she decided wanted to at least say goodbye to Ryujin and wish her a merry Christmas before she left, so she started making her way to the Great Hall. She hoped the other girl wasn't in her room as she stepped between the huge wooden doors to a quiet bustle of students eating. And fortunately she wasn't.

There sitting at the Slytherin table nibbling on an apple was Shin Ryujin. Perfect ponytail tied up behind her head and blonde bangs hanging in front of her eyes. With a smile on her face and her heart sitting heavily in her chest Yeji skipped over and sat down next to her.

"Hey!" She singsonged, making Ryujin glance up at her.

"Hey". Ryujin waved half-heartedly.

"Just wanted to say goodbye properly before the hullabaloo of the train."

Ryujin hummed and nodded in understanding but continued eating her apple. Yeji's heart sunk slightly and her smile drooped, the hug she was about to offer retreating back into her body. She waited a few moments in case Ryujin had anything to say but after a bit decided it would be best just to leave. She moved to get up from the bench when Ryujin suddenly spoke up.

"Wait Yeji."

Yeji immediately froze. Ryujin sighed and shifted on the wooden bench to face her though her eyes barely met Yeji's own. "I... I wanted to thank you for all you've done for me over the last few weeks. You really didn't have to. Although I'm not sure what I would have done without you. And I'm sorry for being such a bad friend in return. I hope you have a fun holiday and a good Christmas."

"Oh." Was all that Yeji could think to say, slightly stunned by Ryujin's outpouring of gratitude. "There's no need to thank me. I did it because... well that's what friends do. And you're not a bad friend. You've been through a lot recently so please don't think that." Yeji smiled and brushed Ryujin's arm gently. Ryujin looked at where Yeji's fingertips were tracing the seams of her robes and a small smile appeared on her face.

"You're too nice Hwang." She said in almost a whisper, but Yeji heard it.

"I hope you also have a good Christmas." Yeji said, suddenly remembering her original purpose for having the conversation.

"Thanks." She mumbled.

"Are you doing anything exciting?" Yeji enquired and Ryujin's smile suddenly vanished.

"Not really." She held up a letter between two of her fingers. "I got it this morning."

"What's it say?"

Ryujin sighed and dropped the letter on the table.

"It's from my father's butler. He says since Professor Jeon is now on trial, and practically has a one way ticket to Azkaban, that his sister's murder case has blown up and my father has now gone into hiding. So I'll be staying at school over the holidays."

"Oh. I'm sorry." Yeji didn't exactly know how to respond. She knew that while Ryujin had been in hospital she'd got no correspondence from her family whatsoever, but still, Yeji couldn't imagine being left at school, let alone after a completely traumatizing experience.