Reading Between The Lines

Alas the next morning when Yeji awoke she felt no less confused than she had been the night before, having opted to skip out on the partying despite being the golden girl of the hour, and going straight to bed.

As she trudged into the great hall for breakfast she noticed Karina sitting on the far side of the benches glaring at her. Yeji quickly looked away, not wanting to set Karina off, given what happened yesterday, she guessed the other girl was not in the best of moods and if there was one thing Yeji hated doing it was causing a scene, especially this early in the morning when the sleep hadn't quite left her eyes.

Once she'd sat down and a cup of tea had appeared in front of her she glanced over to the Slytherin table again in hopes of spotting someone else but to her disappointment, she couldn't see the girl's vivid blonde highlights anywhere. Perhaps Ryujin wasn't up yet, it was Saturday after all and Yeji was an early riser. She didn't exactly know why she was so desperate to see Ryujin. Maybe she felt bad about running off yesterday. She quietly told herself she should at least thank her for coming to her rescue. With that thought Yeji finished off the piece of toast she had been munching and left, apple in hand, to go and finish her History of Magic homework she had yet to start. She would need to find Ryujin later.

An hour or so had passed by in the time it took Yeji to complete the essay due for Monday and her brain felt frazzled. She pushed back her chair and breathed out a long sigh. She reckoned she was in need of some fresh air and eventually made her way down from her room.

She was passing through the common room and said a quick hello to Jisung who was lounging on one of the sofas when it struck her he might be exactly the person she needed to talk to. The 'King of Gossip', as she thought of him, surely would know where Ryujin might be, or least know someone who might know. So she turned and made her way over to him.

"Hey Jisung." His eyes shooting up from the paper he was reading. "You know that new girl in Slytherin?" She asked, feigning obliviousness.

"Shin Ryujin?" He answered.

"Yes her! You don't happen to know where she is right now?"

"Why do you want to know?" He asked quizzically, his eyebrows creasing.

"Oh I um..accidentally took her Potions textbook instead of mine. I wanted to return it to her." She lied.

"Oh right, well I think I heard someone at breakfast say they'd seen her going to the library. But that was a while ago."

"Oh really! Thanks." Yeji said brightly with a complimentary smile.

"Be careful, I heard she's dangerous." He said as she walked away and Yeji's jaw clenched.

'Was she really doing the most sensible thing?' She thought as she strolled down the corridors towards the library but shook her head, insisting to herself it was the polite thing to do. She carried on until she was standing in front of the huge wooden doors, taking a deep breath before entering. Hoping Jisung had been right and that Ryujin hadn't left yet.

Making her way down the long rows of books she skimmed every aisle, hoping for a flash of black and blonde hair.

She was just about to give up, coming to the end of the final row when she spotted her, silently sitting in the corner by the window. Her head resting on her hand as she read a book peacefully under a sunbeam. She was the picture of tranquility and Yeji was considering walking away and coming back later, not wanting to disturb her when suddenly the girl's head snapped up and Ryujin was looking right at her. Yeji's heart jumped as she managed to suppress a yelp, the attention catching her off guard.

They stayed like that for a few seconds, Ryujin simply staring unblinkingly until Yeji remembered why she was here.

"Oh um" she shuffled forward slightly "Hey." Yeji spoke as quietly as she dared.