Downtime Downtown

Over the next few weeks Yeji found herself spending more time with Ryujin than she ever had with anyone before. Being able to look forward to meeting someone after lessons or quidditch practice was a new feeling and one that Yeji couldn't get enough of.

However because most of the time they met in a quiet corner in the library, the vast majority  of people didn't realize they even knew each other, something Yeji was secretly glad about. She supposed it made sense, Ryujin was still seen as this mysterious, dangerous girl, shrouded in rumours; a ticking time bomb who could explode at any second. Whereas Yeji was just the shy, Gryffindor, loner who was good at quidditch and had no friends.

She did think it was sad they were in different houses, Yeji sometimes looked wistfully at Lia and Chaeryeong and wondered if that was what she and Ryujin might have been like had they worn the same colour uniform. But she supposed meeting regularly in the library was adequate, often they both just sat reading in complete silence for hours anyway, simply having each other as company was enough. Once every so often they might meet somewhere more secluded around the school's seemingly endless grounds but apart from that, mealtimes and lessons were the only other times they crossed paths, the occasional glances shared across the dining room tables providing excitement to an otherwise usually boring affair for Yeji.

A few weeks into term Yeji asked whether Ryujin would like to go into Hogsmead with her after their Friday lessons had finished as Ryujin had never been before, to which she had happily agreed. So there Yeji was, a couple of days later, waiting excitedly outside of where Ryujin had charms class as the bell rung to signal the end of the lesson. A steady flow of students streamed out of the door and round the corner past the bench where Yeji was sitting as inconspicuously as possible pretending to read a book.

Unfortunately this only worked for so long before Yeji heard a familiar, grating snicker  and her book was pulled away from her.

"What're you doing here Hwang? Did they finally kick you out the library?" Karina's voice rang through the halls, Winter giggling beside her.

"No. I just wanted a change of scenery." Yeji said, fake smile etched into her face. Suddenly Karina lunged forward, her mouth so close to Yeji's ear she could feel her breath as she spoke into it.

"Don't think I don't know what this is." She said coldly. "I haven't forgotten that little fiasco with Shin Ryujin yet. You're waiting for her aren't you?" Yeji gulped, scraping together a faux confidence before stating with as calm a voice as she could muster:

"Why would you think that?"

"Because, Yeji, you're so desperate for attention, as soon as anyone looks at you twice you become obsessed and think they suddenly want to hang out with you all the time. Well, news flash, Ryujin doesn't want to hang out with you Yeji, no one does."

"That's, that's not true." Yeji protested, a stabbing ache spreading through her chest. "You're just saying that because you're jealous Ryujin chose me over you." She pushed Karina away and stood up. Karina laughed, nudging Winter who obediently joined in.

"Wait, you actually think you two are friends?" She jeered.

"Yes." Ryujin suddenly spoke, rounding the corner. Making Karina flinch before quickly dusting herself off and turning to her fellow Slytherin housemate.

"Oh, hey Ryujin, I was just-"

"Leaving." Ryujin, interrupted. "Wonderful. Come on Yeji." she said, locking arms with a now stunned Yeji and walking her away. Yeji's cheeks heated up slightly at the how open Ryujin was being, though she herself did not seem to care.

"You alright there, Hwang?" She questioned.

"Yes... you just startled me that's all... thanks for rescuing me... again." Yeji said, strumbling on her words slightly. Ryujin chuckled quietly next to her.

"No worries. Just... whatever she said to you, remember she's just trying to wind you up. Don't take it to heart, ok?"

"I won't don't worry." Yeji replied, almost in a whisper. And just like that the achey feeling that had been swirling in her chest since Karina's earlier remarks faded away, a lightness now replacing it.

...

A couple of hours later and Yeji was busy touring Ryujin around Hogsmeade, having enthusiastically pointed out the Shrieking Shack on their way over as a key part of the trip, her shyness from earlier now forgotten. Ryujin seemed quite enamored by the quaint little village and Yeji knew she'd have to take her again in a few months when it would be painted in a dazzling white by the winter snows. They walked by various shops, gazing through the windows and discussing whether or not they'd buy any of the items on display before reaching their final destination, the Three Broomsticks Pub. The atmosphere when they walked in was, as ever, warm and welcoming. Yeji looked over at Ryujin who was wiping the mud off her shoes on the mat by the door, before walking over to the bar and ordering two butterbeers.

"I assume you wanted a butterbeer?" She said once Ryujin had come over.

"I've never had one." Ryujin shrugged, and Yeji turned in horror.

"What?!" She said in alarm. "Well good thing we came here then. You can't be a Hogwarts alumnus without having had at least one butterbeer, they're pretty much a staple of your experience."

"Right well in that case I'm very grateful you suggested coming here." Ryujin replied as Yeji retrieved the two drinks from the counter and payed for them.

They managed to find a nice table nestled away in the corner of the pub and Yeji watched as Ryujin took a sip from the golden coloured drink in front of her. A line of foam now coating her upper lip. Her deep brown eyes widened in approval of said drink before she gulped down another few mouthfuls immediately. Yeji snorted at the adorable reaction.

"I knew you'd like it." She said with a smile, sipping on her own.

"I never doubted you for a second." Ryujin said, wiping away the remaining foam.

"You know," Yeji smirked, "I think you really annoyed Karina earlier."

"I know, did you see the look on her face?" Ryujin said giggling smugly.

"She looked like you'd just spat on her shoe."

"Maybe I should have done that too." And they both laughed.

The conversation went on and they ended up chatting like that for hours, their discussions never boring, and whenever Yeji thought they had run out of things to say Ryujin would ask a question or say something intriguing to which Yeji would then launch into yet another one of her spiels, until soon it was darkening outside.

"We should probably be getting back." Ryujin said at last, draining the dregs of her third butterbeer, which was apparently now her new favourite drink. Yeji hummed, looking outside.

"Yeah you're probably right."