Friendly Fire

It was soon Monday again which meant lessons consisted of Potions followed by Defense Against The Dark Arts. Potions went as well as ever for Yeji, she had succeeded in brewing a new potion to one hundred percent accuracy and Professor Park had been thoroughly impressed as always. However Defense Against The Dark Arts was a different story.

With only a few weeks of term left they were doing dueling today, putting into practice various spells they had learnt over the previous term. It was something Professor Jeon seemed to enjoy immensely, Yeji on the other hand, not so much. She was very good when it came to the theory side of spells but the actual practical use was never her forte, especially under the pressure of facing someone else. She got flustered when her opponent was good at blocking and therefore always got caught out by any quick return of fire. Today was no different. On more than one occasion this lesson she had found herself falling squarely on her backside, much to the amusement of her fellow classmates. Even with Professor Jeon's words of encouragement she had felt like a complete loser and was extremely thankful Karina had opted not to take the subject this year. Yeji did a fine job of embarrassing herself on her own, she didn't need the other girl's taunts as well.

Ryujin on the other hand made it look like a walk in the park. Gracefully casting and repelling spells in rapid succession, never once faltering. She could feel the awe radiating through the body of students watching as she won over and over. Even Professor Jeon's eyes were fixated on her. Her calm focus was hypnotic, it was as if she had turned on a switch in her brain, her whole body wrapped in an elegant stance of concentration. And yet, despite her incredible success she was never boastful or arrogant and always apologized to whomever had been on the receiving end of her onslaughts. Yeji was completely enamoured.

After the lesson had finished as they were walking through the ancient stone corridors Yeji shyly sidled up to Ryujin.

"You were amazing in class today." She said with quiet admiration.

"Thanks. You were pretty good yourself."

"You're joking right?"

"Maybe slightly."

Yeji nudged her in playful irritation as Ryujin chuckled whilst regaining her balance.

"Sorry. I'm sure you'll get it eventually. You just need to have more confidence in your skills, right now it's like your holding back which makes your movements sloppy."

"Wow, you sound like a professor." Yeji joked.

"Well if you want maybe I could give you some tips outside of class at some point." Ryujin offered.

"Thanks," Yeji said with a huff. "But let's face it, I'm never going to be as good as you, let alone live up to your teaching standards."

Ryujin laughed but then pulled a serious face. "You don't need to be like me, you're amazing at other things. That's like me trying to be as good as you at Potions, or Quidditch. Everyone has their own strengths so there's no point in making yourself feel bad about this one thing."

Yeji marveled at Ryujin's thoughtful words and a small smile played upon her lips. "Thanks." She replied. "I'll try not to. But... perhaps we could meet up at some point before next lesson and you could teach me how to cast properly... if that's ok with you?" She added timidly.

"Of course. Why not in our free period we share tomorrow?"

"That works for me! We could meet in the girls toilets on the third floor. No one ever uses it." Yeji suggested.

"Sounds perfect." Ryujin agreed with a smile. "I have to get some homework done now before next period and then I'm busy the rest of the day, so I guess I'll see you then."