Unhappy Accident

Unfortunately her efforts to push away any confusing thoughts about Ryujin were in vain as she seemed unable to think of anything else for the remainder of that day and throughout breakfast the next day, despite keeping her eyes fixed on her porridge for the duration of the meal.

It meant that when potions class came round that morning she nearly jumped out of her skin when Ryujin sidled up next to her in the corridor and started enthusiastically telling her a random fact she'd learned about hippogriffs in her Care Of Magical Creatures class the previous afternoon. Unfortunately Yeji only managed to calm down enough to catch the last part of it.

"-and the egg hatches within 24 hours?!"

"W-wow that's amazing!" Yeji said as shocked as possible, in effort not to give away she hadn't been listening.

"You know you can always say if you're not interested in hearing something Yeji." Ryujin said with raised eyebrows.

"Sorry. It's not that I'm not interested, I just didn't hear the first bit and I didn't want to interrupt." Yeji admitted.

Ryujin chuckled. "No worries, but you can always interrupt, ok?" Yeji nodded shyly before they both arrived at the classroom and took their seats next to each other.

A few minutes later Professor Park shuffled in.

"Today we're going to learn how to brew a Fire Protection Potion." She spoke rather monotonously. "Does anyone know the ingredients?"

Yeji immediately shot her hand up however Professor Park turned and simply started writing them on the blackboard. Gingerly Yeji lowered her hand, reckoning Professor Park was just tired and hadn't noticed. Ryujin made a sympathetic face at her before going back to scribbling down notes. The rest of the introductory section of the lesson felt much the same and soon enough was the practical part, Yeji's favourite.

Within 20 minutes she had a bubbling liquid staring at her from inside her cauldron. She looked over at Ryujin who was carefully adding the finishing touches of wartcap powder to her own when Professor Park called for their attention and started making her rounds to judge everyone's final products.

It was not a difficult potion to brew, in Yeji's opinion, so most people got acceptable marks. However when Professor Park got to Ryujin's, the liquid suddenly started smoking and a small explosion splashed burning, hot liquid all over the desk, a few flecks spraying onto Yeji's arm.

Yeji winced and inhaled sharply through her teeth, quickly wiping away the scaulding liquid, which was fortunately not corrosive. Professor Park exclaimed loudly as droplets of blue stains burned marks into her robes and Yeji looked over to Ryujin who was standing aghast at the sight before her, her eyes wide.

"I'm so sorry Professor." She said horrified, "I don't know how that happened."

But Professor Park ignored her and briefly inquired as to whether Yeji was ok, to which Yeji hesitantly nodded, rubbing her arm slightly. She heard Ryujin gasp quietly but before the Slytherin student could say anything Professor Park spoke.

"I don't know how you managed to fail in today's lesson so badly Ryujin, given the simple nature of this potion, but that was extremely dangerous. Please see me afterwards so we can have a chat about whether this class is the right choice for you."

Ryujin looked a mix of taken back and embarrassed, her shoulders slumping before she quietly mumbled a "Yes Professor."

Professor Park then whipped around and examined Yeji's own potion.

"Good work." She stated, "This has been brewed very well and is to an acceptable standard." She said, sounding almost bored, then walked back to the front of the classroom. "Once you have tidied your desks you may leave. Ryujin a word." She said.

Immediately the room was filled by the sounds of surprised muttering and items being packed away, potions being safely decanted and the cauldrons stacked in the cupboards whilst students slowly shuffled out of the room.

Yeji glanced over at Ryujin who was still in shock from her earlier disaster. "Hey, meet you after lunch in the library, usual spot?" Yeji suggested.

"Ok." Ryujjn replied in distant voice.

Yeji finished packing up her things and left Ryujin in the room with Professor Park. Any other day Yeji would have waited for Ryujin outside of the lesson, unfortunately she had History of Magic class to get to now and she didn't know how long Ryujin would be so quietly left, closing the door behind her. 'It's fine.' She thought. They could talk after lunch.