four

The servants had set out a flowy, dark red silk robe for him to put on after his bath. He eyed it with interest as he picked it up from the bed—which, he should add, was fucking huge and looked like it cost more than Donghyuck's entire college tuition. The whole room was large and spacey and looked like it had come straight out of a fairytale, with pink princess curtians draping from the frame of the bed, a fancy dresser carved out of shiny wood, and a walk-in closet that was bigger than Donghyuck's bedroom at his dorm. Donghyuck sighed as he quickly pulled the robe over his body, tying it at the waist and sitting on the edge of the bed to wait.

He had prepared himself to have to wait a while, as he really had no frame of reference to be able to predict how quickly the king would come to visit him, but to his surprise, it wasn't long at all before he heard a knock on the door, causing him to look up in alarm.

"Your Highness, the king has arrived," called an unfamiliar voice. Donghyuck bit his lip, clearing his throat a little bit as he straightened.

"Uh... come in!"

There was a pause, and then the large mahogany doors of the bedroom swung open, allowing Donghyuck to look up and properly lay eyes on his visitor. It was the same guy from earlier, he noticed; the one that had watched as he came through the portal and hadn't said anything until he randomly gave everyone orders. He was about Donghyuck's height, though slightly taller, with long black hair that was perfectly combed out of his face and curled around his jawline. He was definitely handsome, though that didn't really surprise Donghyuck—he was sure that the king's servants worked very hard to make him look that good.

So this is the infamous king that everyone was talking about.

The doors shut behind him with a loud clang, and the king stared at him silently for a long moment. He was clearly an alpha, Donghyuck could tell by his scent—it was heavy and thick just like most alpha scents were, and it smelled smoky and dark, like freshly burned firewood.

Donghyuck hated to admit to himself how much he actually liked his scent.

"So... you're the king, huh?" Donghyuck said awkwardly, breaking the silence when it was clear that the alpha wasn't going to speak first. He probably wasn't even used to having to speak first in a conversation, the spoiled bastard.

"Yes, I am," he replied simply, hovering in the middle of the room and glancing pointedly at the spot on the bed next to Donghyuck, silently asking his permission to sit. Donghyuck smirked a little despite himself, and patted the spot next to him indulgently. It made Donghyuck wonder how important he was in this world that the servants addressed him as 'Your Highness' and that the king himself asked for his permission to do something as simple as taking a seat next to him on the bed.

"By all means, don't let me stop you," Donghyuck scoffed. The king huffed a little before sitting down next to him.

"I imagine you are feeling a lot of confusion right now," the king said. Donghyuck turned to him with a scowl.

"A gross understatement, to say the least."

The alpha flushed a little, clearing his throat before continuing. "What is your name?"

"What's yours?" Donghyuck countered back defensively. The king gave him a funny look.

"A bit rude of you to fire a question back at me instead of answering your king, but I will indulge you since you are not yet familiar with the rules of this world. My name is Mark, Mark Lee."