fourteen

"Now, shall we begin?"

Mark leant forward and nodded, giving the delegates permission to continue. "Please."

Donghyuck drummed his fingers against his thighs, dispelling some of his anxious energy and trying to appear calm and relaxed.

One of the strangers stepped forward, a confident smile on her face. Judging by her unique clothing and air of importance, it seemed like she was probably higher ranked than the rest of them. Donghyuck tried to copy Mark's posture, leaning forward to give her his full attention.

"Our nation was very pleased to hear that the Neo Kingdom was successful in securing an omega mate for the king," the delegate started smoothly, "we came to give our sincere congratulations on behalf of our monarchs."

Mark nodded stiffly. "Thank you. Please pass on my thanks to your leaders."

Donghyuck almost wanted to protest that him and Mark weren't even mated yet, but he resolutely kept his mouth shut, terrified that he might accidentally ruin everything by saying the wrong thing.

"Ideally, you may be able to give them your thanks in person," the delegate crooned. Her entire demeanor and way of talking was smooth, coordinated, and perfectly professional. Donghyuck couldn't help wonder if she'd been excellently trained, or had just been born with those skills.

Mark furrowed his eyebrows. "Please elaborate."

"Well, as I'm sure you are aware, it is tradition for the newly mated king and queen to visit all the allying countries, and have a celebration thrown in their honor," the woman said slowly, "our leaders have been patiently waiting for the mating announcement since you informed us that you had found an omega. We were sent to inquire why you have not yet started your celebratory wedding tour."

Donghyuck felt panic wash over him, glancing at Mark hurriedly. The king appeared as calm and collected as ever, but his knuckles whitened against the arm of his throne.

"We have not yet started the tour because we are not yet mated or wed," Mark said patiently, ignoring the looks of open surprise on the delegates' faces, "and besides, we all know circumstances are different nowadays. An omega leaving the palace is too risky, the Red Moon is still running free."

"If you are not yet mated or wed..." the delegate started slowly, turning towards Donghyuck as her gaze changed into something icy and disdainful, "then why is an unmated omega commoner sitting next to you on the queen's throne?"

Donghyuck stiffened, tensing every muscle in his body as his breathing got shallower. She was right, he wasn't the queen, and he didn't really have the intention to be. He was an imposter, a fraud, and she could see right through him, and now she'd declare war and the people of the country would die and it would be all his fault—

"Do not speak of him in such a way," Mark hissed, quickly jumping to Donghyuck's defense and breaking him out of the beginnings of his panic spiral, "I am still in the process of courting him. I'm training him to become the queen, because he is still unfamiliar with our procedures and I want to make sure he'll be a good, informed, smart ruler."

The delegates all glared coldly at Donghyuck, looking unconvinced. Donghyuck's chest tightened with anxiety, almost suffocating him, but then Mark reached over and gripped his hand, giving it another comforting squeeze. He brought Donghyuck's attention back to him and met his eyes, trying to reassure him. It's going to be okay, you're doing well. It's not your fault. You're doing good. Relax. Breathe.

Donghyuck inhaled a shaky breath, regaining control of himself and straightening in his seat, trying to look intimidating and powerful like Mark. He wasn't sure if it was actually working, but it at least made him feel a little better.