sixteen

Donghyuck's breathing came in quick, short gasps, fear rapidly overtaking him. Mark reacted quickly, grabbing the omega's wrist and pulling him behind his frame to block him and protect him.

"Don't move," Mark whispered, standing stock still and surveying the surroundings with the sharpness of a hawk on the prowl for prey. He took his right hand and slowly unsheathed the sword sitting against his waist, and Donghyuck's eyes widened as he looked at it.

"Woah! You're gonna use that thing?" He whisper shouted. Mark threw him an exasperated look over his shoulder.

"What else would I use to defend you? Would you rather I pick up a stick and pray for the best?"

"I mean, no, but like... the sword seems kinda intense, don't you think? Maybe if you have like a little dagger or something—"

At that moment, the assailant jumped from the bushes and lunged at Donghyuck at top speed, ironically with a dagger in his hand. Donghyuck screamed reflexively, squeezing his eyes shut and covering his face. He heard a loud thump, and when he peered up from between his fingers, Mark had the gang member flat on the ground with his boot crushing his chest and his sword poised at his neck. The dagger had fallen out of the stranger's hand in the impact, landing a few feet away, and Mark's features were dark with anger and disdain as he pinned the alpha under his feet. Donghyuck really shouldn't have found it as attractive as he did.

"Who are you?" Mark pressed, determined to at least get a few answers out of the vermin before he took his life, "were you sent by the Red Moon?"

The alpha on the ground coughed, lungs rattling under the pressure of Mark's sharp heel. Even with a blade inches from his neck, he did not tremble or flinch.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" He grunted. Mark snarled and pressed the sword against his skin, just enough to draw a little blood. Donghyuck watched with widened eyes and bated breath.

"I am still your king," Mark said, his voice low and ice cold. "You answer when I ask you a question. If you cooperate, I may just spare your life."

The stranger on the ground paused, seemingly considering his options. Donghyuck inhaled shakily as he glanced back and forth between the two alphas, nervous energy thrumming through his body. Mark was completely calm and collected, his eyes locked on his target and not even bothering to spare Donghyuck a single glance.

"I am a member of the Red Moon," the alpha finally admitted, tone reluctant, "my leader sent me here... on a mission. To kill the Queen."

Mark hummed noncommittally, leaning forward to look the alpha in his eyes. "How many of you are out to kill him?"

"Everyone. The leader offered a great..." a cough, a sharp intake of breath, "great reward. Whoever brings back the queen's head gets the prize."

The alpha wheezed, partially suffocated by Mark's increased weight on his sternum. Donghyuck felt goosebumps erupt all over his body. They're all out to kill me. Every single one of them.

"Donghyuck," Mark said coolly, finally looking up to meet the omega's eyes. Donghyuck almost felt startled by Mark's attention on him—the Mark that was currently interrogating the alpha on the ground was vastly different from the Mark he'd gotten to know over the few weeks he'd been in this world, and it felt weird to hear Mark's unforgiving and professional tone directed at him.

"Look away. Turn your head and shut your eyes, and cover your ears," Mark commanded firmly, leaving no room for argument.

"You bastard!" The alpha cried immediately in protest, starting to flail and squirm under Mark's boot. It was no use—the king held him down with ease. "You said you would spare my life!"