thirty five

Donghyuck woke up the next morning in Mark's embrace, safe and sound as if nothing had happened. For just a moment, he wondered if it was all just a bad dream, if the events of the previous night were nothing but a figment of his imagination, but then he looked down and saw the marks left behind on his wrists and realized that it had been all too real.

He had almost died. He had been saved, but it was a close call. He wasn't safe here in this world, he never had been and never would be, and he was a naive fool for trying to convince himself that he could ever live freely and peacefully here.

Mark stirred awake behind him, arms still wrapped around his waist. Donghyuck inhaled shakily and hid the red welts from the ropes on his wrists underneath the blankets, slowly turning over to face the king.

"Donghyuck?" Mark hummed, voice raspy from sleep. The omega just nodded in response, watching quietly as the king slowly peeled open his eyes.

"Good morning, baby," Mark mumbled, reaching out to cup Donghyuck's cheek. Donghyuck was unable to keep the blush off of his cheeks as Mark caressed his face with his thumb. "How are you feeling? Are you okay?"

Donghyuck forced a smile and nodded. "Yes, I'm okay. Everything is fine, now that we're both safe."

Mark smiled in return, fingertips still gently stroking over Donghyuck's skin. "I'm so relieved that you're okay. I was so scared last night... I thought I was going to lose you."

"I know," Donghyuck whispered back, leaning into Mark's touch, "I was scared too. But it's all okay now... I'm right here."

Mark's smile grew at that, leaning forward and pressing a gentle kiss against Donghyuck's forehead. "I love you."

Donghyuck pursed his lips, pointedly not saying it back. Mark pretended that he wasn't bothered by it, and cleared his throat before he continued to speak.

"I'm going to the execution today," he said, his tone slipping into something more solemn and serious, "do you want to come?"

Donghyuck shook his head. "I don't wanna go, I don't do well with... that kind of thing. I'll be here when you return, though."

"Okay, I understand," Mark said softly, staring at Donghyuck for just a bit longer before he sat up and pulled himself out of bed. "I won't be long, okay? I'll come right back here, you can stay with Renjun in the meantime if it makes you feel better."

Donghyuck just nodded, laying quietly and waiting until Mark left the room before he sat up himself, staring blankly at the wall in front of him.

He didn't want to break Mark's heart. Just the thought of leaving him behind and never being able to see him again made him feel sick with grief, but he had to think realistically. He had to try to get over him, find some way to move on without him.

He knew eventually, Mark would be able to get over him too.

He stood up and grabbed a bag, packing every belonging of his that he could see before slipping out of the bedroom and down the palace hallway.

┈ ୨ 👑 ୧ ┈

"We will now commence with the official execution of alpha Kim Woohyun, charged with endangerment and attempted assassination of the king and queen." 

Everyone in the crowd was silent as the guards walked Woohyun down the long winding path towards the wooden pedestal, dragging him by a long metal chain that was tying his feet and wrists together. The metal clanged noisily as he was brought up, and it was the only sound heard across the square as Woohyun was made to kneel on top of the platform, head bowed.