twenty six

Donghyuck was in the middle of pacing back and forth across the room when Mark returned. The alpha king paused in the doorway, and similarly Donghyuck paused in the middle of the room, mid step. They stared at each other for a moment, both of them seemingly feeling a bit awkward, before Mark tried a smile and let the door close behind him.

"Are you alright? Did you send Jeno out into the hallway?"

Donghyuck nodded slowly, scuffing his foot against the wood floor beneath them. "Yeah. I was anxious, I didn't want him to see me pacing and worrying all by myself."

"Why were you feeling anxious?" Mark asked gently, finally making his way over towards the omega. Donghyuck bit into his lip and shrugged.

"Are you still a bit shaken up from the incident last night?"

Donghyuck nodded slowly, and Mark sighed.

"It's okay, Donghyuck. It's only natural that you would still feel scared. I'm sorry for leaving you alone for so long today, I should've known it would have put you on edge after all that happened."

Donghyuck stayed silent for another long moment, looking like he was working up the courage to say something before he finally opened his mouth. "Um. Mark?"

"Yes?"

"Would it... would it be weird for me to ask you for a favor?"

Mark furrowed his eyebrows. "What kind of favor? I'll try my best to help with whatever you need."

Donghyuck blushed darker than Mark had ever seen, looking embarrassed. He shifted on his feet for a minute, stalling, before he finally exhaled loudly and let it all out.

"Could... um... could you hug me again?"

Mark blinked, surprised. "Oh... yes, yes of course."

Mark stepped forward and gently pulled Donghyuck into his arms. The omega was stiff as he hugged him back, like he was still ashamed of even being in this position in the first place, but one comforting stroke of his hair from Mark was all it took for him to start to relax.

"Should we lie down and cuddle for a bit? Or would that be too much?" Mark muttered quietly. Donghyuck was quick to shake his head.

"No, it's not too much. Sounds great, actually," he whispered, still sounding shy. Mark grinned and pulled away, climbing up onto the bed before making room for Donghyuck to lay next to him. The omega curled up into his side and rested his head on his shoulder, hands on his chest while Mark's arms were wrapped around his waist.

"You're so clingy today," Mark said teasingly, in an attempt to lighten the mood, "it reminds me of when you were in pre-heat."

Donghyuck blushed even harder, lightly hitting Mark on the arm. Mark just laughed.

"Shut up," Donghyuck mumbled, with no real malice, "I've been paranoid and looking over my shoulder all day today. I feel like being with you is the only time I can relax."

Mark hummed, gently raking his fingers through Donghyuck's hair. The omega let out a pleased sigh at the feeling. "You're safe with me, Donghyuck. I will protect you with my life, no harm will come to you as long as I am next to you."

The omega buried his face into Mark's neck, and it took a moment for Mark to realize he was doing it to hide his face, which probably meant he was blushing again. Donghyuck was so cute that Mark could hardly stand it.

"Thank you for protecting me. I'm sorry that you have to worry about keeping me safe in the first place."

Mark furrowed his eyebrows, glancing down at him. The omega still refused to meet his eyes.