twenty six.

"mack, what does this comment mean?" chris asks, pointing to his phone where a comment reads 'this was prob in retaliation to the leaked ex pics she's so real'. "what ex pics?"

mackenzie's eyes widened. this was not how she meant for chris to find out. she was planning on telling him tomorrow when it was just the two of them. now everyone was watching to see how she would respond. she locked eyes with emaan, who gave her a sympathetic look but also mouthed 'i told you.' she sighed.

"chris, let's not do this here." she said. she wanted to talk to him about this alone. chris scoffed.

"don't give me that bullshit, mackenzie." he rolls his eyes. "what ex pics are getting leaked?"

"okay, first of all, it's not bullshit, chris." mackenzie responds, starting to get angry at the fact that chris had very little trust in her. she saw nick try to get everyone back upstairs to leave the two alone. "second, the pictures are fucking old. they're from high school."

"let me see them." chris demands after the garage is empty. mackenzie pulls out her phone and goes to her tagged, giving it to chris to let her scroll through. chris examined the pictures. they looked old, he guessed. but there was no doubt that mackenzie looked almost exactly the same. people would easily assume that she cheated. he was about to give the phone back when he saw a notification drop down. he scanned it. 

logan white
happy thanksgiving btw kenz!
be back soon so we can all hang :)

if looks could kill, logan would probably be dead through the screen. without saying anything, chris thrusts the phone back into mackenzies hand. 

"we're done." was all he said before going up the stairs. not even a moment later, emaan rushed into the room to see mackenzie just standing there, her phone still in her hand. mackenzie looked at the notification and sigh. she covered her face with her hands as she went to sit down.

"what the fuck just happened?" mackenzie asked her voice full of confusion and anger, though emaan could tell she was extremely upset by chris just...breaking up with her?

"he's just jealous, kenzie. give him a couple days and he'll be back."

"no, emaan." mackenzie shakes her head. "you should've seen it. he was so mad, he didn't give me a chance to explain. he looked like he hated me."

"he doesn't hate you." another voice joins the two. mackenzie looks up to see nick and declan.

"yeah, he's more mad at the kid you were talking to?" declan adds, with a hint of question in his voice. mackenzie sighs.

"i was barely talking to him. you guys have to believe me. the pictures are old. they were posted on my spam but way back like in 2020. whoever got them really dug for them. and logan texted me today asking me why the pictures were going around and i told him. and chris knows we're still friends and that we ended on good terms, i just..." she trails off, her voice starting to break.

of fucking course this would happen to her. she knew some fans hated her but not to the extent to actually ruin her relationship. hell, she even posted earlier today before the pictures started circulating about how much she was thankful for chris. she should've known it would end in a snap.

nick wrapped mackenzie into a hug. 

"i'll try to talk to him, i promise." he pulls back and gives the girl a light lipped smile to which she returned.

"thanks nick." she replied. "i think i'm probably gonna go home now. declan, you brought your car right?" her brother nodded.

"yeah, i did." he fishes into his pocket and pulls out the car keys. "you and emaan can head home, i'll come with mom and dad." he hands the keys to her, but emaan takes them before mackenzie could.

"no, girl, be so for real. you just got broken up with, you can't drive home." she starts heading towards the door, noticing that mackenzie had not moved. emaan rolled her eyes. "c'mon, you can cry on the drive back." she pulls her best friend by the hand and the two go upstairs. luckily, mackenzie had been able to supress her tears while they were in the house. she made a quick excuse saying that she ate too much and wasn't feeling well, so no one would think it was weird that she left.

on the way out the door, she locked eyes with chris. she could see the slight regret in his eyes, however it was masked by anger and hurt. she blinked and looked away first before going out the door. once she left, emaan rolled her eyes at chris and mouthed 'you're such a fucking idiot.' before following her. 

the drive back to mackenzie's parents' house was mostly quiet. mackenzie had made the mistake of playing gracie abrams and was a crying wreck the whole time while emaan comforted her with "he'll come around" or "he was the stupid one for not hearing you out" every now and then. once the two got home, mackenzie went straight to her bedroom while emaan gave her some space by going to the living room and taking out her phone. 

she was about to give chris a piece of her mind.

maha speaks :)

lowk don't know where i'm going w this but bear with me.