thirty three.

"i brought you watermelon." mackenzie's head shot up from the book she was reading to see chris standing by her bedroom door. he was, in fact, holding a plastic container of watermelon and a fork.

"thank you." mackenzie said, softly. she got up from the bed and walked towards chris, who handed her the fruit. she took it from him and their eyes met briefly. "we'll talk later." she reminded him. chris nodded. 

"yeah, got it." he replied. the two stayed in an awkward silence, looking anywhere but at each other. mackenzie cleared her throat and looked up at him.

"do you, um, want some watermelon?" she asked him, causing him to look at her. chris hesitated.

"no, i'm okay. it's for you." he finally said. "i'll see you in a bit." he turned around and left the girl standing in her bedroom alone. once he walked out of the hallway, mackenzie sighed. she set the watermelon on her desk before laying back on her bed and looking up at the ceiling. 

"mack! come outside!" she heard emaan calling her from the living room. "we have your gifts! she was not looking forward to that. the back of her mind was reeling from that short interaction with chris. imagine how nervous she would feel afterwards? mackenzie sighs, getting up from the comfort of her bed. she picks up the watermelon from the desk and opens it, taking a piece in her mouth as she walked out of the room.

"i'm here." she said, entering the living room. she puts her container on the coffee table and picks up the first small gift bag. "let's get started."

the first gift was from ayla. it was a small binder used to save polaroids. mackenzie went through her other gifts. she recieved a photo frame with the two of them from nick, a handmade card and phone case from matt, a barnes and noble gift card from declan, and a picture of the whole group taken in los angeles from emaan. mackenzie thanked everyone and tried not to let it bother her that she didn't get anything from chris. she even saw the guilty look on his face as she opened the final gift from theo, who wasn't even here.

"okay, that's all!" she said a little too quickly. anyone could sense the sudden awkardness in the air. nick cleared his throat. 

"mack..." he started before mackenzie shook her head. 

"i have to get ready for tonight. i'm third-wheeling logan and clara if anyone wants to come." she looked around the room. 

"i'll go." ayla said. "i just need to get back to the dorm to get ready." she got up. "who wants to drive me?" 

"i'll drive you." declan offered. "i'll see you guys later." the two head towards the front door, leaving only the triplets, mackenzie, and emaan. 

"i was, um, planning to take emaan out tonight." matt said, quietly. "otherwise, i would definitely go with you. sorry, kenz."

"it's okay." mackenzie grimaced. "i'll be fine with ayla there." 

"chris and i might come, too." nick said, catching chris and mackenzie off guard. 

"really?" chris asked him. nick shrugged. 

"yeah, i mean, there's nothing better to do."

"okay." mackenzie sighed. "the movie's at five, so we have like three hours. i'll be in my room." and with that she left. chris covered his face with his hands.