thirty one.

"chris!" mackenzie exclaimed. "i was just coming to find you. i found the person who—" chris looked between her and logan and pursed his lips.

"i'm guessing you're logan." chris says, sticking his hand out for logan to shake. "the name's chris. mackenzie's boyfriend."

"you're not—" mackenzie was cut off by chris's loud voice.

"you know, babe," chris exclaimed. mackenzie blinked at him, wondering why he was acting so strange. "we should totally go sit over there and talk." he points to the couch. "you know, like most couples do." he emphasizes on the word 'couples.' mackenzie lets out scoff.

"this is ridiculous." she muttered. she grabbed chris by the hand and dragging him over to her bedroom, leaving a very amused logan.

"what the fuck is wrong with you?" she whisper-shouted once they got to the secluded area. "are you trying to make things worse?" 

"i thought he—" chris started. mackenzie laughed, coldly, with absolutely no humor in her tone.

"you thought wrong, chris. god, i was finally going to forgive you, you know? but then you had to butt in on a conversation that meant nothing. i told you, i've moved on. he's moved on. he has a new girlfriend, chris. we were having a civil conversation."

"mack, i don't think anyone would be happy seeing their significant other talking to their ex." chris replied, simply. mackenzie stared at him. 

"oh my fucking god." she had to resist the urge to roll her eyes. "chris, we're not dating anymore. don't you get it? you broke up with me because you thought i cheated when i didn't. you didn't even let me explain myself. you didn't trust me."

"and i'm truly, really sorry about all that, mack." chris insists. "i swear i--"

"but you're not, chris!" mackenzie exclaimed. "you just proved it right now. you came over and started pretending that you were my boyfriend because you thought that something was going on between me and logan. i didn't even mean to bump into him. i was actually looking for you."

"you were?" chris perked up. he felt bad that he assumed so quickly about her and logan.

"yeah." mackenzie replied, bitterly. "you know, i can't believe that i actually fell in love with you." she said, shaking her head. "i put all my trust in you but if you can't even do the same, then this..." she points between them "will never work." 

"mackenzie..." chris started, but mackenzie shook her head. 

"just... leave me alone, chris." she said, quietly, leaving him alone in her bedroom to his thoughts.

god, i fucked up, chris thought. he sighed to himself and sat on mackenzie's bed, regretting everything he had done in the past fifteen minutes. he looked around the room, a certain picture catching his eye on her dresser mirror. the photobooth pictures he and mackenzie took the day after they started dating. 

"chris?" a voice startled him out of his thoughts. chris looked up to see logan walk into the room.

"um, i saw mackenzie walk out. she looked upset."

"yeah, no shit." chris replied, coldly. "i fucked things up, again."

"she was looking for you, you know? when she bumped into me. she was really stressed out."

"about what?" chris furrowed his eyebrows. 

"she found the person that caused this whole mess. and she was looking for you to tell you. she was so mad she didn't see where she was going. she bumped into me and i started talking to her. to calm her down. and then... well, she told me about your breakup. she looked really sad about it. so, i invited her to the movies with me and my girl. just so she could get her mind off the whole situation. and then you came up."

"fuck." chris buried his face in his hands. he felt like an asshole. and this time, he didn't know how to fix it. "i'm sorry." he said.

"don't be." logan responded. "just... don't let her go."

"how?" chris asked. "she just told me how she fell in love with me but in the same sentence she said how this will never work."

"you need to show her that you can trust her. you do trust her, right?"

"i do...it's just..." chris sighed, realizing that he was about to open up to his ex girlfriend's ex. "i don't want to lose her. that's why i got so mad. i was so blinded by jealousy i didn't even think about it. and i ended up making the worst decisions of my life. i lost the person i loved."

"then get her back." logan said, simply. "the more you try and persist, the more she'll realize how much you mean it. you got her a birthday present, right?" he asked. chris nodded.

"yeah, i did— fuck!" chris slapped his hand over his mouth. "oh my god, i left it in la. this is bad." he started to panic. 

"hey, chris!" logan snapped his fingers. "calm down. you'll figure this out. just tell her you'll mail it to her whenever you get back to la, alright?"

"yeah." chris nodded. "yeah, that's what i'll do."

"and tell her what you told me. be honest with her." logan added. "that's how she's gonna know that you trust her. and maybe, she'll forgive you."

"you think so?" chris asked, standing up. logan nodded, patting chris on the shoulder.

"good luck, chris." he said before leaving chris alone again in the room. chris took a deep breath before follwing him out. 

"chris, what did you do?" he was immediarely met by matt and emaan. "if you did some stupid shit again, i swear to god—"

"relax, emaan." chris stopped her. "i know what to do."

maha speaks :)

this is short i'm sorry. but it's all worth it at the end, trust.

but this story is almost done!! just a couple more chapters left (i'm aiming for 35)