Chapter Four - Memories

Mui pov

I crept through the house, hoping Noone would see me.

"Yui..?" I speak, trying to get my brothers attention, peeking my head through his door. He had his hair in a bun, pretty unusual.. but I guess he does find his hair annoying-

"Yes..?" He says hesitantly. I came into the room, he patted a spot for me to sit on his bed. "I have news.." I tell him, his expression slightly dropped.. I think he was worried I failed again-

"I got a B" I tell him, smiling. He looked at me and his expression suddenly changed into a small smile, "there you go! You did it mui!" He says, still just barely smiling since he barely smiles. "Yes! Genyas really good-" I say, he nods. "Thought he'd be-" he replies. "I'm so happy mui, we just need to work on that memory of yours now" He says, putting his index finger on his head, I mumble a small 'mhm' before he pats me on the head and slightly ruffles my hair.

"Oh yeah mui, genya messaged me to say he texted you but you aren't replying. So just check your phone" He tells me. I nod "Alright, I'll stop bothering you now- bye!" I say, cheerfully bouncing off his bed and heading out the door, he nods and waves to me as a walk out his door.

I walk past my lounge room- the doors were closed- "Dad..?" I say out loud seeing if anyone was in there, peeking around the corner of the door.

Mother and dad were hard-core kissing on the couch.. Mother was sitting on his lap.. I just looked away, apologizing. "mui. Come here." Dad says, angrily. I just pick myself up and walk to them, "yes..?" I ask, he stares out angrily before putting his fingers in the front part of my hair, twirling them around then pulling my hair tight, making my head closer to his. "What do I always tell you? Knock." He says, I nod. "God you look do much like your old mother." He tells me, looking at my hair, Then staring into my eyes. I just stare confused. "Yeah. He really does." Mother says, "I look like.. mum..?" I ask quietly. "Yeah. Same hair, same eyes." He says, tugging my hair and pulling it closer to him and staring at the teal ends.

"Ah, such ugly hair." He tells me, letting it go. I just nod, "well. You can leave." Mother says sternly. I nod and run out as fast as I can, I heard them whispering slightly. I closed the door and put my ear to it.

"He really needs a haircut. Him and his brother. Why would you let them have hair like that-" I heard Mother say, I kinda felt.. weird.. really uncomfortable.. It reminded me of something, but I couldn't remember what..

Then it hit me..

...................................................................................

Years earlier
(Mui and yui are 6-7)

"I want mama.. I really.. really miss her.." I tell myself, I was sitting in my room with my knees to my chest, faintly crying..

"It's okay.. she's with me.. she'll always be with me.. I have my kimono.. and all the gifts she gave me when she traveled to Japan to see grandma.." I say, wiping my tears and sniffling..

"Boys~ it's bedtime!" I hear from outside the hallway.. "Okay-" I hear yuichiro speak back, "mhm! I'm just getting into bed-" I say, trying not to sniffle or sound like I've been crying..

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I wake up, the sun shining in my eyes. "Good morning mui, how was your sleep?" My new mum asks, "good!" I reply, "that's good. Go get ready, I can brush your hair like your old mum did if you'd like. Because I know you miss her dearly.." she tells me, I nod. "Thank you-" I reply. She smiled.. but it didn't seem like a normal one.. it seemed.. evil...?

I got my blue shorts on and my yellow top, I was really happy she was going to brush my hair like mama did. I missed her so much.

"Mui~ come here!" She says, sitting on her bed, I run over happily and sit in front of her. "Wow mui, your mother gave you very beautiful hair." She tells me, starting to brush it slowly. I nod, "she used to brush and braid it every day.. I miss her alot.." I told her in reply..

"Ah-" she says, starting to brush a little more aggressively, she had finished. "Mui, could I go get a hair tie and I could braid it for you like your mum would?" She asks, I nod happily before she walks off.

I felt so happy, I thought she was so, SO nice.

"Back mui" She says, sitting behind me, putting something under her leg to hide it.. I was a little bit worried, but didn't think much of it as I was a child.. until..

I heard a snip..

I froze, no.. she didn't cut it.. she wouldn't.. I thought to myself, but in fact. She had cut it..

I span my head around to look at her, scissors in hand. My eyes started to fill up with small tears, "I-" I let out. "There you go mui. Now you look like a boy, I'm sure that's what your mother would've wanted." She told me, I just started crying.. I was young.. and I had barely gotten over her death, now I had none of the hair she loved braiding..

...................................................................................

...

Word count : 928

Chapter by : MistHashiraMui