4: The Wedding Games

Darrell and Talia were adrenaline junkies

Darrell and Talia were adrenaline junkies. Harry knew what to expect with their wedding and they had delivered on an array of deadly water sports that didn't sit well with him.

Daphne took his hand as they approached The Catherine. It spanned out with countless chairs which made finding his family a chore.

'My baby!'

'Oh boy...' he muttered.

He was pulled into a hug that he knew very well as his mother's. 'Hi Mimi.'

'Let it go already,' she scolded.

'Never.'

She rolled her eyes and moved her attention to Daphne. 'Are you going to introduce us?'

'Mimi, this is the love of my life. Love of my life, this is Mimi.'

'Hi, Mrs Carter. Sorry, your son may still be jet lagged.'

His mother groaned and took her arm. 'I can assure you that he is always like this.'

Their conversation faded as they walked through the restaurant to their table. Only Carters were there which gave him a sense of relief. He watched as his mother introduced Daphne and put her in a seat in between her and his dad.

He took the seat beside his brother who seemed lost without his wife-to-be.

'Do you need me to get her?' Harry whispered.

'Shove it, Porter.' Darrell replied.

'After you Carter.'

Silence fell between them as his parents hassled Daphne about her life. He barely knew anything about her. He had known her for two years and always needed something but never really had a conversation about her life.

'What does your mom do?' Harry's mum inquired.

Daphne paused before she answered. 'She's a socialite.'

'You can't be serious,' Miriam Carter said with a laugh.

'She was a lawyer. Then, her blood pressure skyrocketed so she quit and became a full time influencer or socialite.'

'Does she use her degree at all?'

'When she wants to argue with my brother and me. Yes.'

'Oh... where did you go to school?'

'NYU and Oxford.'

'That's impressive.'

'Worst years of my life.'

Miriam pressed her brows together.

'I shouldn't tell you this but my dad tells everyone.'

Miriam nodded.

'My uncle hired a hit man to take me and brother out.'

Miriam gasped.

'Our cousin got shot. He survived but none of us really recovered.'