5: The Rehearsal

Daphne

Daphne

If anyone had told me that I'd return to Seville without my dad, I would've sworn on my Abuela's right hip that they were talking nonsense.

Yet, here I was with my neighbor, exploring a city that I grew up in. We had the whole day to explore until the rehearsal at three.

I scanned stalls for a coffee that my father ordered me to return with. I could've simply asked a staff but a part of my felt like he'd know that I hadn't sought it out.

I was standing at another stall and scanning for Ezra's coffee when Harry saw it wise to intertwine our fingers. I didn't spare him a glance because I didn't want to lose count of which fancy tin I was on.

'Keep this going and I'll make you beg for the next month,' he whispered and my neck snapped in his direction. 'My parents are behind you.' His eyes stayed on me.

'Don't whisper crap like that when they're out of earshot,' I faced the vendor again more irritated than I needed to be. 'I am looking for Carmela's coffee.' I inquired in Spanish.

The vendor gave me a sad look. 'Carmela died a few months ago. Her children sold the café.'

My heart constricted. I didn't know Carmela personally but she made fucking good coffee.

'Gracias.'

The vendor gave me a warm smile and I tipped the guy fifty Euros. It was extravagant but I could afford it. I took out my phone and updated my dad about Carmela's passing before tucking it away.

'Daph.' Harry's voice was hoarse.

I hummed.

'I'm sorry.'

I stopped walking and faced him.

'I shouldn't have done that,' he added.

'Yes, you shouldn't have but you don't need to apologize.'

He gave me a nod before asking if he could hold my hand. I answered with a nod and the rest of our walk was quiet. We never ran into anyone else or even spoke to his parents.

The rest of our stroll through Seville was just us. We got back to our room at one, I was more exhausted than I needed to be, even with sneakers my feet wobbled like bouncing springs.

'Can I help you with your shoes?' Harry's question filled the silent room and I nodded, scared that I would fall over if I reached for the laces myself.

He took them off without worry before putting them away for me. A part of me felt bad for snapping at him. He had never been inappropriate with me. He even asked for permission to do what he did to me before we almost had sex.

But a part of me still wanted those boundaries up. We weren't a couple behind close doors, only to his family.

'Can you walk to the bed?' He asked as soon as he returned.