Set Sail

Shades covered our eyes from the day's bright reflection on the water. I could feel the wooden planks vibrating as Captain Neville and I approached the marina. We could hear dancehall riddims growing louder. The wind gusted and ceased as if it was greeting us before the maiden voyage of Medusa. Champagne corks flew in three different directions as a tower of glasses were filled. My friends smiling faces gave us a warm reception. Captain Neville boarded the yacht and waited my order to sail.

My friends are divided into three cliques. The Trust (funders), we all went to secondary school together but they have been tightly knit since they were kids. The Homies, they never let me forget I had humble beginnings. The Creatives, of course they are wearing interesting clothing and give a refreshing breath of life to a party. When they all come together though, they fit like they are all pieces of a puzzle. We haven't been together since the summer began so we all started to catch up.

"Hey Mal, there are some faces here I don't recognize."

"Ahhhh, I knew they would catch your eye." Jamal said to me as he took a sip of his drink.

"Some models who are in town, we did a sunrise shoot and figured this was a good follow up...you're welcome." Jamal smirked and took another sip of his drink. The music and the liquor both flowed throughout the function. 

My phone vibrated with a reminder that I was on a schedule. I said farewell and set sail leaving everyone at the marina.

"Captain....Bermuda." I said over an intercom in my bedroom. I kicked off my shoes, got comfortable and got on my bed. My eyes grew heavy as time slipped away from me.

"Umm excuse me...mister....hey wake up....hey buddy....I need you to wake up!" exclaimed a soft nervous voice slowly getting closer to the bed.

I slowly opened my eyes and was staring into the most gorgeous eyes I had ever observed. God snatched the eyes of a tiger out and gifted them to her. I quickly gave her a once over.

"...you don't look like you work for me so who are you and how did you get on Medusa?"

"Medusa?! Who is Medusa!? You know what? It doesn't matter. Look, I got on the boat to use the restroom, I ended up in a bedroom, I used the restroom, and I was a little too tipsy to make it back up the stairs. I guess I fell asleep on the bed but no one said the boat was leaving the doc. Where is everyone at? My phone isn't working!"

"Calm down, take a breath. Medusa is the yacht you are on. You don't have service this far out at sea. You still didn't answer who you are but I would have to say Jamal brought you after your photoshoot this morning."

"My name is Sasha and yes Mal brought me to the marina but he didn't see you were sailing off. Why are we alone?"

"The party was only for the marina I set sail to Bermuda. You are welcome to come or fly back when we get there in two days."

"...Two....two days?"

"Yes that is when we will be docking. Hold on."