Chapter 9

Vegas hears everything. Every step he takes. Every nervous sigh and even the way Splinter clicks his tongue tip on the palate. According to the instructions, he should look mysterious but at the same time — detached, with a slight touch of boredom from a social event. Today he does not need to reveal himsel. Just create the illusion of a riddle that their "client" will certainly want to solve.

"Walk through the hall as if on a forest path and look at the "treetops". Smile, but not to anyone in particular, just to your thoughts."

"Okay, boss. I will be thinking of you and smiling."

"You still can't calm down, can you?"

"So what about me? I can't tell my heart, boss. Indeed."

Vegas can't help but grin when he remembers how he was giving this little wolf cub the last instructions. All those little smiles, winks and lips stretched out like a tube.

Someday I'll serve you right, little wolf cub...

However, Vegas knows that now it is necessary to discard all emotions. There's too much at stake. Kinn, Tawan and him are in the role of security at the event today. Along with a dozen more real security guards. Thanks to Kinn — due to his father's business ties, none of the organizers had any questions about why at the last moment the agency responsible for the safety of their guests today sent three previously unlisted people. Vegas also calculated everything here: if they had put their personalities on the list earlier, it would have become known about their real place of job within a few hours.

Watch out.

Kinn looms over his eyes. Vegas squints, which makes the outlines of his beautiful cheekbones even sharper. The client is on the spot. And now a lot depends on Pete.

The beginning of the auction. Considering how many antiques are represented among the lots, a special lover of antiquity could not miss it. And Vegas did not lose at all when he assumed that he would be most interested in gŭqín, which was once owned by the commander Zhūgě Liàng. The auction begins. Up to a certain point, everything is going according to the plan.

But then…

In the most audacious tone of which he is capable, Pete loudly interrupts the price. The one offered by his potential admirer.

What is he doing?! The plan was quite different!

Gritting his teeth, trying not to look at stunned Kinn and Thawan, Vegas whispers into Pete's earpiece:

"What's the matter, Splinter?"

Of course, Pete is silent. The little wolf cub has clearly learned that their communication is ninety-eight percent one-sided. Vegas left two percent for an emergency.

But isn't it right now?

"Pray that your price is outbid! And keep your mouth shut while the bidding is going on!"

A smug chuckle is heard.

The price is obviously outbid. Vegas exhales. But then he freezes: Pete raises the stakes again.

You little asshole!

Vegas squints at Kinn. He smoothly removes his palms from him with the look of "none of my business, bro."

Well yes. Sure. And then he'll start: "and don't say I didn't warn you, Vegas."

I'll kick your ass, Splinter!

To his luck this price is outbid as well. By an undeniably high amount. Vegas suspects that they are doing this to emphasize the effect.

The sound of a hammer hitting.