Chapter 12

“One request. Will you do one thing for me?"

"Uh... depending on what it is, your request."

Two days before the expected meeting. Pete -  Vegas had to admit it — worked very professionally, just sending his photo to the right number, and when they called him back in response, he sincerely pretended surprise and swore to their client that he had just mixed up the business cards, because since that evening he had received them from several people of different genders. Without a doubt, this provoked the old bastard. Of course, Pete finally added: "it was very nice to hear your voice" and once again apologized for the accidental confusion. As a result, the offer to "meet somewhere" was received within half an hour. With a victorious shining smile, Splinter winked at Vegas with both eyes, but the latter — for some reason - did not share his delight at all from "deftly I wrapped him up, well, tell me?".

And now they are sitting in Vegas' office and he is already starting to shiver from "one request".

"Yes, I don't mean any hanky-panky... don't worry. That's not what you think," Pete decides to put it more decently on the move.

Vegas snorts and throws up his hands:

"Well, knowing you, I can expect everything."

Pete wipes the smile from his face, making it unusually strict and focused:

"If they still decide to kill me, give me your word that you won't touch Tankhun and the guys."

Vegas frowns and combs back his hair, and then forcefully smooths his shaved temples:

"Why set yourself up like that, Pete? Everything will be fine. Your job is to be alert and remember why you are there. We'll provide security. Less unnecessary words — more business, and then everything will go smoothly."

Vegas says this with such an intonation, as if he is convincing himself of the success and not so much Pete.

"Yeah ... I'll try," somehow sad sounds can be heard in response, "but still... promise."

"Pete, listen," Vegas gets up from the desk, moves the chair to the other side and sits right in front of Splinter, so that their knees touch, "I've told you: everything will be alright. Don't screw yourself up. You're smart and sneaky. You won't be lost, right?" Vegas winks playfully.

Pete is silent. Then Vegas pushes him with his knee, to which Splinter grins and waves away, and Vegas — unexpectedly for himself — spontaneously catches his palm in the air, slightly squeezing it with his fingers:

"That's it. Everything. Will be. Fine. Don't even think about another outcome. Got it?"

"Yeah…"

"Pete?"

Splinter opens his palm and, sliding it up, connects it with Vegas' palm, starting to apply them alternately "finger to finger" and back. This innocent, almost childish thing amuses Vegas, and most importantly, Pete's smile gradually returns to him.

"Pete, do you understand me? Everything will be fine."

"Yes," finally Splinter nods, without taking his eyes off their hands.

Vegas smiles with the corner of his lips, his free hand reaches for Pete's knee, but at this moment a lightning zigzag seems to pass through his temples: I have already seen this somewhere; another, distant, but not forgotten someone did this to me. Awareness of what is happening stirs the mind. Mentally Vegas understands: it's just a coincidence, there is nothing unique in this childish play... but still?

Clearing his throat, Vegas somewhat abruptly pulls his hand away and, getting to his feet, mutters:

"I'll go away for a while, stay here, we'll head to home soon."