Chapter 14

When did I manage to turn into such an indifferent jerk? Vegas watches intently as Pete sobs on the floor, smearing tears along the face with his fists.

"That's enough. That's it. Stop the hysteria."

Pete shakes his head like a madman. And only croaks "give, give, give me back..."

Vegas gets down on one knee in front of him:

"Okay. I won't pressure you. Now calm down and we'll talk. Just talk and that's it... well, here we go again! Why are you crying?"

"Give it back!.."

Vegas sighs heavily, unclenches his fist and holds out his palm with the bracelet lying on it. Pete, suddenly quieting down at once, grabs the bracelet and squeezes it tightly in his fist, and then crawls into a corner. Vegas gets to his feet, walks over to him and holds out his hand again:

"You'll be snotting up to the floor. Come on, get up and go wash your face. I'll make some tea for now, or something. How do they usually calm you down?"

Vegas understands that he is talking some nonsense. Pete gives him a sullen look, but, sniffling, still gets up. On his own. Without Vegas' hand. And immediately hides the bracelet behind his back, mumbling through his teeth:

"I won't give it back to you. Whatever you do."

Vegas shrugs and goes into the kitchen: something to "calm down" would not hurt him himself as well.

After that, they sit on opposite ends of the sofa. Vegas gulps down the tea that has barely had time to cool down. Pete doesn't touch his mug. Only he still holds the bracelet tightly. After a while Vegas turns to him:

"Pete, you know you're going to have to tell me anyway."

Splinter only presses harder into the corner of the sofa.

"Good. Not now. Not today… But you'll have to, Pete. This thing... it means too much to me. Or rather, the one to whom it belongs."

Pete shivers, as if in a sudden gust of cold wind. Then Vegas hears:

"Tankhun didn't buy out only me that day..."

A draft turns into a real storm. If this is even the thinnest thread, Vegas will cling to it with his teeth.

"And what happened to him? Where is this other now?"

Pete shakes his head, and tears run down his cheeks again:

"I don't know! That's the point… That I don't know. He just disappeared in an instant! We were such good friends... we stuck together all the time. And then he disappeared... only the bracelet remained. But I remember exactly how he said that as a child he made two of these... and someone special has the second one, along with his childhood photo. There was a picture of him in your wallet. So you have the second bracelet, too. Is that right?"

At the last words, Pete looks at him so pained that Vegas can't stand it and looks away, saying on an exhale:

"Did you learn that song from him?"

Pete smiles through his tears and nods. And Vegas understands: perhaps this is all he can get from this poor wolf cub, he has nothing more to tell.

I'll have to meet Tankhun again.

The next day, he takes Pete to the department, safely "hands him over" to Kinn, and goes to clarify the circumstances.

"Did you miss me again, beauty? How's our Splinter?"

Tankhun does not betray his manners. Neither in appearance, nor in the way of speaking.

"So far everything is fine. I didn't come because of him."