Chapter 21

"Pete," Vegas slowly removes his palm from his stomach, "go to sleep."

"Don't you really want to? While I was living with you, I didn't notice that you ever jerked off," he giggles in his ear, stubbornly returning his palm to its place, "or maybe you're that... sick? Probably, at some sort of showdown, they hit you in this place, now it's not working, right?"

Vegas moans into the pillow and then looks over his shoulder:

"No. I just don't want to become one of them for you."

"What's that got to do with it? You're not forcing me. It's my own desire."

And after all, you look with this kind of eyes and as if you don't understand that you are forcing me to balance on the edge.

"And then what?"

"What?'

"Feeling guilt on my part and disappointment on yours?"

"Why would that be?"

"Because I really can let myself off and give in to you, but I have no experience... with a man. I don't think you'll be impressed."

"Aw," Pete chokes on a laugh, " Not sure you had experience with girls."

Vegas rolls his eyes and turns away:

"Think what you want. That's it. Sleep."

"Well, okay, live like an ancient mummy!"

At first, Pete rolls offensively to the edge of the bed, and then kicks Vegas under the knee, which makes him raise his head again and look at him with a sleepy look:

"Well, what else?"

"So you don't like me at all? Not a bit?"

Vegas stretches his lips in a half smile:

"I like you."

"Did you say that to back me off?"

"No."

In truth, he does not expect this confession from himself.

Pete rounds his mouth and moves back, putting his face too close to Vegas' face:

"So-so-so?"

"I'm not going to have sex with you. That's it, Pete. Good night," Vegas grabs the pillow with his hands on both sides and lies face down, hearing a plaintive grunt behind his back:

"Not only a psycho, but also a dumb! How could I fell in love with such a retard!"

Vegas is not going to argue. But he falls asleep with a smile on his face, knowing that he has now acted according to his conscience.

The next day they walk through the rural roads, greedily swallow the icy water from the spring and finish the walk lying on the trampled grass. Their bodies — like two hands of a clock — touch their heads, measuring their common past and present. The future is still very vague for both. But Vegas is not sure that he is ready to live it without this mischievous smile and jokes that always make him blush.

And yet something is gnawing at his conscience still.

"What are you thinking about?" Pete pokes him in the side with his index finger.

Vegas shakes his head.

"Is it hard to say that?"

"If I start talking, you'll shut my mouth anyway."

"With a kiss," Pete laughs, raising his palms to the sun and letting its warm light through his fingers.

"You are so clingy."