Chapter 11

"So when are we going to call him?"

"We? You got the card, so you're going to call him. But later."

After discussing in detail the further course of the case with Kinn, Vegas is beginning to think more and more about how far Pete will have to go in 'communication' with their 'client'. Not that he was concerned about the ethical side of the issue, he had to close his eyes to it for the sake of potential success. And yet it makes him uncomfortable to think that this wolf cub will have to — if necessary — lie down under the devil knows who.

Vegas shrugs his shoulders: that's it, we need to think about the final goal, not the means.

But how to stay indifferent when this mocking smile and mischievous look are more and more pulling to the surface true "alive" Vegas.

"Later? When exactly?"

"I'll let you know."

Pete breaks the last chocolate chip cookie in half and takes only his one. Vegas grins, pushing his hair back into his eyes:

"Eat all of it. I'm not a fan of sweets."

"P-f-f, that's incredible!" delighted that he will get everything, Pete chews his half with pleasure, "life is so short, so why deprive ourselves of sweet things?"

"I just don't like them."

"That's exactly why you're always grumpy at everything."

"Well, yes. It is precisely because of indifference to candies and pastry," Vegas says sarcastically.

"Sure! Where have you seen angry confectioners? And the butcher has it written on his face that he is a butcher."

"I don't think you should judge a person's character by his appearance or occupation."

"Yeah. With the exception of your faithful Tabaqui," Pete snorts into his coffee cup again, "it's written on his face what he is."

Vegas frowns, but shakes his head in silence. The incident in the restroom still bothers him. After that, he already saw Tawan. And more than once. The latter, as suggested by Vegas, tried to behave as if nothing had happened, but by the uncertainty in his voice and the way Tawan avoided eye contact, Vegas guessed that everything was not so simple.

"What is the program for today? Are you going to start cramming a list of social niceties again? By the way, I'll say right away, none of them came in handy. I picked up this client of yours without them."

"Exactly. I even wonder what attracted him in you so much."

"You heard everything."

"Well, let's say not everything."

"Damn it! I told you, the old bastard likes to talk about music. Well, my natural charm did not disappoint as well."

"Hmm. Modesty, of course, in not your zest."

Pete teases him and puts the last piece of chocolate cookie into his mouth:

"Do you care what I am? The goal is crucial, right?"

Maybe I do... little wolf cub.

Vegas shrugs again:

"So. Finish your meal here first. And today it's your turn to do the washing up."

"Yeah. And then?"

"And then will be then."

Pete squints back suspiciously, but says nothing. He shrugs and watches Vegas leave the kitchen with a thoughtful look."