Chapter 17

This chapter gradually carries us back to nowadays. If you remember, in Prologue Vegas is already imprisoned, he closes his eyes and tries to understand where he's made the fatal mistake. So, the first 16 chapters are his memories.
________________________

"You do realize it's not my fault, don't you, Kinn?"

"Yes... but, damn, how could your fingerprints and..."

"Fuck, Kinn! If you don't believe me, then who will believe me at all?!"

Even in a weak state of thinking, Vegas notices how desperately Kinn resists the facts.

"Yesterday I received a message from Tawan asking me to come to his place. There was a kitchen knife lying in the hallway, I tripped over it, picked it up and, as you know, I did not foresee in any way that it should have been done with a glove," of course, sarcasm is not appropriate now, but Vegas does not hold back.

"And then?"

"He said he filed a report for dismissal... or it was earlier... fuck! I don't remember exactly what followed... but I didn't kill him. Do you believe me, Kinn?"

"I do. But who could do that?"

Vegas grabs for the shaved temples:

"I wish I knew. But in prison I won't have much time and space for maneuvers."

Kinn wrinkles his forehead and shakes his head:

"You're still joking, Captain. Okay, hand over your weapon. I don't want to see you humiliated."

"Was I a shitty boss, Kinn?"

Kinn folds his arms over his chest and turns to the window:

"Anyway, I couldn't choose my boss."

Vegas stands by:

"Look after him, okay? This is not an order. A personal request. And so that he doesn't know anything. At least for now."

"Who are you talking about?"

"You got it, right?"

Kinn grins, but without humor in his voice:

"I'll look after... And we have to think about how to get you out. Try to remember everything in detail... in short, it's not for me to teach you."

"No need, Kinn," Vegas slaps him on the shoulder, "just keep an eye on him. Nothing else is needed. That's my business. I myself have to figure out where I've made that mistake. And then everything will be in its place.

Our days.

Vegas opens his eyes. He touches the back of his head with his hand - because he has been sitting for a long time, leaning against a solid wall, it's aching. Only ninety-two days. And through them - from that fateful evening to his last interrogation - those very words of Splinter sound.

Because right away and deep under the skin.

How did you turn out to be quite right, little wolf cub...

He closes his eyes again. Heavy eyelids press on them, the back of the head buzzes and does not allow him to concentrate.

After all, I already knew what life was like for you before Tankhun, how exactly you were punished if you returned without loot... but I still sent you under that bastard.

Vegas moves his head like a wet dog shaking water off his fur. And if he hadn't accidentally found the bracelet, wouldn't have found out that this was his lost childhood friend, would he have pitied Pete as much as he pitied Build?.. The worst thing is that he still can't honestly answer even to himself.

And you... if you found out who you really are and that you gave me the second bracelet yourself, how would you react? Would you hate me even more for what a heartless, selfish piece of shit I've become over the years?.. But if you could only imagine how I grieved that I lost you...

Vegas bends his knees to the right side, trying to change the pose, which hurts the whole body. He recalls the procedure of the inquiry, the departure to the "crime scene", his own explanations bouncing off his teeth. For almost four weeks in the pre-trial detention center, Kinn came to him several times - the only one from his department.

I shouldn't have doubted you. You know, I don't even feel sorry for my chair. You'll make a much better boss, Kinn.

Kinn told him that he had been to Tankhun a couple of times - to ask if there was anything needed, and in general, to check the situation.

"How's Pete? Does he eat well?"

"I think so. He didn't look blooming, but he was all dirty - he was messing under the pickup truck."

"I see."

"By the way, he says "hello" to you. Or rather, "a slap on the back of the head and a kick, he deserved it."

Vegas twists his pale lips in a smile:

"Uh, you didn't tell him, did you..."

"I didn't. What's going on with the investigation? I found out here, everything is deaf with bail."

"You know what crime I'm going through."

"Is the first trial coming soon?"

Vegas nods:

"They usually take longer. But here is a 'special' case. The accused and the victim are from the police."

"Don't give up, Captain. Especially when you're right."

Vegas rolls his eyes in amazement.

"Never give up. Especially when you're right."

These were his words spoken in front of fellow graduates of the Academy. He remembers that the best cadets among the juniors were also present in the hall. Kinn was one of them.

"You stil remember... wow. Is that why you once told me that I was a role model for you at the Academy?"

Kinn lifts his chin up and looks into his eyes:

"You still are."

"Yes, indeed."

Both are grinning. But both are not in the mood for fun at all.

"Okay. Now leave me, Kinn. Thanks for everything."

Day of the first meeting. His lawyer, who, of course, was hired by Kinn, is well prepared. But the prosecution's arguments are ironclad. During the investigation, some rat from the department was found who sang to them about the conflict with Tawan for personal reasons. And although Vegas had to honestly describe the situation in the toilet and other hints, it seems to him that everything was interpreted not in his favor.

They take him away, handcuffing his wrists. At first, everything goes as usual. Inside the vehicle, he is guarded by two uniformed men. And then suddenly something heavy flies into his head and for a while he passes out. When he comes to his senses, he finds himself on the floor in the middle of a large space. In front of him, surrounded by guards, there is someone whom he would very much like to strangle with his own hands:

"So we finally met in person, and not through your disguised puppet, Khun Policeman."