Episode 6

Rupa finally reached Comet's place but when she got there it wasn't what she had expected at all. His car wasn't in the driveway and he didn't appear to be home. She noticed however that the door was left ajar. When she went inside papers were scattered all over the tables, cupboards and drawers were left open and cushions lay askew. The place looked like it had been ransacked. Alarmed, Rupa called the police. She messaged Comet as he was still not answering his phone.
————
Shallu had also arrived at her job interview. She was seated in the reception area, more nervous than ever. I got this, she tried to reassure herself. She nervously ran her hand through her shoulder length curls and took a deep breath. She has decided to leave her hair open instead of tied back as she usually did to frame her face. This is ridiculous Shallu thought. She didn't understand why she was so nervous. She glanced at the secretary. She seemed new but was very friendly. Her name badge read Hafiza. Before Shallu could muse further about the secretary, Hafiza beckoned her into the office.

Getting up, Shallu slightly wobbled on her heels and hoped that she wouldn't fall over- not until she had long left the office at least. Shallu stepped into the inner office. She was surprised that it wasn't as bright as the reception area but slightly dimmed. She assumed it could be because the sun had slightly receded and most of the light was coming from the broad windows behind a large oak desk. This was where Shallu assumed the "boss" or the "partner" spent most of their time. 

Ahhh the general partner, Shallu remembered, her nervousness returning. She looked around. He wasn't anywhere in sight. Curiously Shallu walked to the desk. Typical, she murmured softly on noticing the collection of law encyclopedias neatly organized to the right of the desk on an oak bookcase. The way the office itself was furnished completely convinced Shallu that her boss was old and old fashioned. There was even a small old antique clock on the desk.

Shallu took a seat opposite the desk knocking a wooden pen holder to the ground. Shallu cursed softly and quickly got up to retrieve the pens. How many pens were in that holder exactly? She thought. She was on her knees scouring the ground and had about six pens and the holder in her hand. There was no other comfortable way to bend down to pick them all up. She didn't want to split her pants!

Whatever, she thought. This had to be all of them.

She put the pens and the holder on the desk then held the desk to get up feeling slightly ridiculous. That's when her eyes locked with the most beautiful and intense eyes she had ever seen. Hazel eyes with a depth that she could feel but not read. Shocked at what she felt she looked away and was the first to break the gaze.

She also backed away into the desk knocking over all the damn pens again.

Shit she said softly and instinctively as the guy with the most beautiful eyes and quite frankly the strongest broad shoulders she had ever seen in a suit, walked around the desk to take his seat.

Wait, Shallu thought. This was the Partner?! Her potential new boss?!

Just as she was embarrassingly going to recollect all the pens, he said "That's fine I'll get them later. Sorry I'm late."

Shallu got weak in the knees. This was bad! He also had that husky rugged voice that could make....wait a secondShallu thought. She knew this voice.

Trying to appear nonchalant Shallu took a seat and tried to get a better look at his face.

"That's no prob..." She froze. She hoped her mouth wasn't left gaping open. Everything was going horribly wrong. This can't be happening, she thought.

"So Ms. Abdool" he continued. Shallu could see his luscious lips moving but could not concentrate on what he was saying. She couldn't hear a word.

Ahhhhh she silently screamed. Her potential boss was Felix! Her first high school crush, a senior when she had just started in grade 9. Shallu was stunned into silence taking in all the details to debrief with her friends later.

Damn he got better with age Shallu thought. She seriously hoped she wasn't blushing and that she was nodding in all the right places.

———
It was 7:00pm and Harshdip was scheduled to arrive. Simmy was dressed in a black knee length dress. She opted for natural makeup and minimal jewelry. She didn't want to get his hopes up. Simmy knew her exact plans for tonight. First, she would calmly tell Harshdip that she never wanted to see him again and if he didn't accept it, she would take some kind of drastic action- but hopefully it wouldn't come to that. She couldn't shake the feeling that he wasn't being genuine and didn't want to pursue this. She needed to trust her instincts no matter how good he looked in his jeans.

Simmy's doorbell rang and she went to answer the door. Glancing in the mirror to give herself one last boost of confidence she swung open the door. Only it wasn't Harshdip but the fair and adorable face of Mohit! Helplessly she tried to form a sentence but couldn't. It seemed her brain had stopped working at the mere sight of him. Maybe she could manage a hello?

Luckily he was the one to speak before she made a complete idiot of herself.

"Umm this is awkward but Harshdip couldn't make it. He uh wants you to know that he understands your decision of not wanting to see him again.
So he asked me to come." He seemed to be as nervous as she was.

"I wasn't going to come. This whole situation is weird but I couldn't resist. His description of you didn't do you justice. You're stunning." He said shyly.

Simmy knew she was blushing. Had this really been that young kid she had tutored back in high school? He definitely doesn't remember me, she thought. That's probably for the best. She was probably like 4 years older than him. He was probably still in his undergrad. Still the way he was looking at her made her feel like she was Miss Universe or something.

"Thank you for uh conveying the message." She responded. "This might seem a bit forward but do you want to grab drinks or dinner or something with me tonight?"

Mohit could not believe his luck. He had convinced Harshdip to leave Simmy alone both because she clearly didn't like him but also because he selfishly wanted to ask her out himself. Truth be told and unbeknownst to Simmy, he was one of a group of young boys that used to follow her around when she was in high school and admire her from afar. She was so kind and her smile could melt any heart. Mohit took her hand and helped her down the front steps. He didn't want her to think he was immature. She clearly didn't remember him. This was one thing better left forgotten.