Episode 8

Nimmy was excited about Simmy's news. She knew how much Simmy cared about Mohit and knew they were right for each other even though they hadn't been seeing each other very long.

She prayed that her relationship with Abhishek was also a match made in heaven. She was daydreaming about their wedding and painting her nails a bright blue when she heard scuffling outside and a knock on her door. Who's knocking?! She thought. I have a freaking doorbell.

Standing outside was Abhishek. He looked shabby, his clothes torn and there was blood seeping through his shirt.

"Abhi!" Nimmy exclaimed.

She rushed to his side, supporting him and helping him inside. Just as they were almost in, a loud gunshot sounded. Nimmy screamed as Abhishek slumped to floor pulling her down with him. From the corner of her eye she could see a black Mazda speeding away. It's windows were tinted and she didn't get a good look at the driver or plate.

———

Rupa had been waiting for news about Comet for what seemed like ages. The police refused to give her any kind of update despite her daily calls and insistence that someone tell her what is going on. It seemed like she was finally due for some information as the police realized she was not involved in the case- as she'd told them from day 1.

Officer Prem was the officer in charge of the file. Rupa thought he had the perfect look for an officer. He had a dark complexion, eyes jet black and he always seemed to wear a scowl that would frighten anyone. His lips were dry and cracked. His face appeared very rough looking like he had not shaved or moisturized in days.

If being caught didn't scare cmininals, his face sure would Rupa mused as she took a seat across from his desk. He seemed to sense her thoughts as he scowled in her direction, his beady black eyes pinning her with their gaze.

Prem introduced himself and continued by telling her about Comet's criminal history. He had been convicted of petty thefts but had been hiding from authorities recently due to once incident of theft which left a few individuals injured and one person killed.

Rupa could not believe what she was hearing. She also instinctively touched her necklace which Comet had gifted her the day after they started dating. It was a silver pendant with her initial. She started to wonder if it was stolen and how much about him she really knew. She had believed he was a gentle soul.

"I see you're in shock" Officer Prem said chuckling heartlessly. "So were many others in the community. No one seemed to know how many illegal activities he was involved in. He is ruthless when people owe him money and refuse to pay it. There are accounts of him taking his repayments by force and using violent measures."

Officer Prem placed a picture in front of Rupa. "Take this guy for example. We think he will be Comet's next target."

Rupa gasped looking down at the picture. It was Abhishek!

——-

"What?!" Shallu exclaimed. "My friend's wedding is next week and I told her I'd be there!"

"Well tell her you can't make it." Felix said without care. "Unless you want to lose this job."

"You can't do that." Shallu retorted. "I had already asked for the time. I've made plans and I'm not going to drop them all because of you....you...SNOB!"

Snob? Shallu could have died of laughter if she was in a good mood. Arrogant loser was more like it.

Shallu knew she was being childish but she was exhausted and this seemed to be her breaking point. She had been looking forward to the wedding especially as she couldn't help as much as she would have liked with the planning. She knew Felix needed someone to attend the meetings with him but why did it have to be her?! They had other associates like Rita and Dilan who could have easily gone in her place. They could have also had this meeting virtually but the client was so old school and didn't trust technology.

"Look Ms. Abdool. You've been assigned this matter with me. If you're not coming to Switzerland for this meeting, I'll have to terminate you. It's part of your responsibilities and I'm counting on you." Felix said calmly. "You should also be grateful I'm overlooking your childish name calling."

Shallu's eyes opened wider in anger. Of all the nerve. She knew how she was acting. This was so not her usual calm demeanor but Felix had a way in his tone and cool vibe to unnerve her and bring out her blinding rage. Of all the nerve! If he thought she was just going to roll over he was badly mistaken.

Deep breaths, Shallu thought. Match his stupidass
calmness. In the calmest voice she could muster she stated "I think there are better options available to you for this meeting. Rita, for example, just told me today that she would gladly take on this file. She's been working here longer and is more experienced. She'd be better able to represent the firm in this matter and I'm the sure the client would appreciate that."

Felix appeared to contemplate what she said and was interrupted by a phone call he had been expecting from the Court. She waited a few minutes and he gestured for her to leave his office and close the door. Shallu happily left. She considered his contemplation to mean she had made a valid point he had to consider . With a triumphant smile she decided to head home.