Illiterate: Jealous

Rudra walked into the living room once he got home, and today he got home early, it was 5 pm. On his way home he realised that he could talk to Ravi to see if he could help out with finding evidence. He made a mental note to talk to Ravi.

"Rudra, tum jaldi aa gaye?" Damini asks, slightly shocked at the early arrival of her son. She stood up to greet him and was about to turn to ask Siya to get a glass of water for Rudra a glass of water but she was already heading out to the kitchen. 

(Rudra, you're here?)

Rudra sat down on the couch, eyes closed as he rubs his forehead, it's been a long day. His replies are short to Dmaini and Ravi before they end up carrying on their conversation. Soon a comfortable silence falls in the room as Rudra hears a soft aura progress towards him. He feels a presence in front of him. He can sense the presence in front of him, he opens his eyes and his eyes fall on the tray with the water on it. 

Siya cleared her throat and gestured to the glass, "P-paani."

(w-water.)

Rudra gazes up at her as he takes the water and drinks it. He thinks back to what Dhruv was saying about giving this marriage a chance. He knows she does something to him and he knows he does something to her, but he was too confused and there was too much going on for him to process any of this right now. 

"Thank you."

Rudra turns to Ravi and asks him to come to his office. When they began discussing the kinds of evidence Rudra was looking for, Ravi told him that he documented and recorded multiple videos and pictures of the torture Siya had faced over the years. He also mentioned going to the police when he was sixteen but they dismissed him. He also had records of when Siya was officially pulled out of school, even some doctor certificates of Siya being unwell due to unknown injuries.

"Rudra bhaiya, unhone meri baat puri tarah se suni bhi nahi, lawyer ke liye paise bhi nahi the. I'm so glad ki aap kuch krna chahte hai."

(Brother Rudra, no one listened to me properly, and I was in a position to hire a lawyer. I'm so glad that you want to do something.)

Rudra looked at the man in front of him wondering how he was okay with doing something this drastic when his own parents will be facing jail for a very long time. Rudra could see the sadness in his eyes, but he could also see how determined he was to carry on with this and bring justice to his little cousin.

Rudra by the courage of Ravi to openly protect Siya in front of his parents and collect evidence throughout the years. Once Rudra was able to get the video and photos and scanned copies of the documents, he sent Ravi away and gave Dhruv a call to see if he could come over to talk about some of it. When he got a positive response, Rudra made a start on analysing the video, which was quite old too, some with a really young Siya cowering in the corner with blood dripping from the side of her mouth. You could hear her sobs and Ravi's attempts to stop the torture. 

The videos were quite similar, except for two things; Siya progressively got older and the intensity of punishments increased. Another thing that changed over the years was Siya's attempts to protect herself. Initially, she would try hard to stop the beatings, she would fight against them. Then it turned to her folding her hands and begging and weeping for mercy, then in the newer videos, it was silent cries and an eager wait for the torture to just be over. Rudra noticed that she had just given up.

Almost an hour later Rudra's blood was boiling by the end of his analysis, his heart was begging him to get up and find his wife. To hold her and hugs her, console her that it will be okay, that she would never have to be in a position like that again. And he listened to his heart, he went out to find his wife so he could talk to her and make sure she was okay. 

Rudra walked out of the study to their living room, he knew it was almost time for dinner as well. But on his way to the living room, his steps faltered at the sound of a soft giggle coming from the kitchen. 

"Aapka chehra. . . .hehehehehe. . .ch-chehre pr a-a-atta!" 

(Your face. . . . .hehehehehehehe. . . . fl-fl-flour on you f-face.)

It was Siya, Rudra walked into the kitchen to see who Siya was talking to. Upon entering he was welcomed by the sight of his wife laughing whilst pointing to someone's face. And that someone was no other than Dhruv. The man Rudra had called an hour ago to visit him and talk about their case, but he was here, in the kitchen with Rudra's wife. Not only was he with his wife, but there was no one else around and he was making her laugh. 

"Maine pehle kabhi atta nahi gundha na. . . . toh, ek do baar aur karunga toh aa jayega. . . .Arre hasso maat."

(I've never made dough before. . . .so, if I do it a few more times then I'll get it. . . .hey don't laugh.)

Rudra watched his wife bite her lip to control her laughter before passing Dhruv a cloth to clean hsi face. 

"Layie, mein krdungi. Aap jaayiye aur living room mein bethiye. you're our guest." 

(Here, I'll do it. You go sit in the living room, you're our guest.)

Siya takes over the dough just as Rudra fully walks in, Dhruv is the first to notice him. 

"Hey yaar! Sorry mein thoda distract ho gaya. Siya cooking krne jaa rahi thi to I thought I'd help her. Ussne toh bohot maana kiya, pr mere best friend ki biwi hai. Aise kaise usse aakele aakela kaam krne deta."

(Hey bro! Sorry I got a little distracted. Siya was going to come cook so I thought I'd help her. She didn't want it, but she's my best friend's wife, how could I leave her to do all this work alone."

Rudra nodded his head before coming to stand beside his wife, puts a hand near hers on the counter and says, "thank you for helping my wife, why don't I take over from here? You go look through the stuff I called you here to do."

Dhruv and Siya look at him slightly confused. Siya wondered why he would want to help in the kitchen and Dhruv wondered why he was suddenly being dismissed. And then it clicked, Rudra was jealous. Dhruv watched Rudra watch Siya as she nervously fiddled with the proximity and how that contrasted with her freely laughing a few minutes ago. 

This gave Dhruv an idea, he went off to the study, picked up the laptop and came back to the kitchen. 

Rudra who was still standing close to his wife looked up, "Why are you back?"
Dhruv smiled sweetly, "I was enjoying Siya's company, I thought I'd take a look here,"

Rudra rolled his eyes at the man sitting opposite him at the counter, not liking how he was already engaging his wife in another conversation. His wife hasn't even looked his way yet.