Misunderstanding - The Past

"Papa, mujhe bhook nahi hai, mein upar apne kamre mein hoon."

(Papa, I'm not hungry. I'm upstairs in my room.)

Sarika says as she runs up the stairs to her room. She changed into her white silk pyjamas as she sits by her window and gazes up at the moonless night sky. She lets her mind wander back to this day five years ago.

5 years ago:

Sarika was leaving the medical store, wanting to get home as soon as she could. It was late, almost eleven pm. She was checking her bag to make sure she got everything, her phone started to ring, she was struggling to manage all the things at once. Just as she got to the turn of the street, she came face to face with a big broad chest. She bumped straight into it and was about to fall when sturdy arms came around to hold her. Before anything made sense, there was a flash and then another and another. Sarika turned her face towards the wall to avoid the bright lights. Before she could turn around to see what has happened, she heard the roar of a motorcycle.

Sarika looked up to look at the stranger holding her.

"Wha-?"

"Are you okay?"
"Yes, but what was that?"
"Don't worry about it. But-"

Sarika was about to say something when her phone began ringing again.

"Yes papa, mein bas aa rahi hun!" (Yes papa, I'm just on my way!)

Sarika ran off into the darkness as the stranger watched on.

The next day:
"Sarika, yeh kya hai?" (What is this?)
"Kya hua Ishaan?" (What happened?)
"Yeh picture, that's you with Abhay Raichand"
Ishaan was pointing at the magazine, and Sarika came around to look.

It was indeed her, with arms around her waist, looking up at the stranger. There were a number of pictures splattered across the two pages of the magazine. The commotion grabbed the attention of Sarika's parents. Ishaan pulled a laptop and did some searches.

And there they were, to the horror of Sarika, there were pictures of her and Abhay everywhere. Different headings, different claims, different assumptions.

"Abhay Raichand's new fling."
"Mystery girl is seen with the billionaire son."
"The Raichand heir caught red-handed. In the middle of the night."

Sarika's parents knew their daughter, but their relatives and neighbours took this as an opportunity to smear the Sharma name. There were rumours everywhere, at her college, amongst relatives and neighbours, and at her workplace where she used to go 3 days a week. They chased her into her nightmares, they ruined her life, her image, her character. She even had to deal with catcalling, as well as photographers and reporters chasing her around taking pictures, publishing them, and writing more articles. There were articles about her appearance, her background, and her lifestyle. She was labelled a gold-digger as well as a number of other things. And the stranger who was the reason for this hadn't even come out of the security of his home to say something about it, to make any clarifications. At least that is what it looked like to her. He was protected by his rich father, untarnished by the rumours and she had to spend her days dealing with them, living amongst the devils who created them.

*Ting*

Sarika snaps out of her thoughts when her phone's notification goes off.

Anshuman: I'm coming over in ten minutes. Be ready, we're gonna grab dinner.

Sarika: I don't want to.

Anshuman: I'm already on my bike. Be there in 9 minutes.

Sarika: No

Anshuman: Yes. see ya in 8 minutes.

Sarika: Fine

Once Sarika is ready, she goes downstairs to see her parent and brother sitting in the living room.

"Anshu is on the way, we're going to get dinner."

"Good beta, and you need to stop thinking about the past."

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Saru, yaar mat soch iske baare mein! Log bhi bhool chuke hai, aur tujhe pata hai ki jaisa media ne dikhaya vaisa nahi tha."

"Pata hai pr. . . ." 
"Par kya? Yaar."
"Pata hai tu kya kehega. Aur mein roz thodi na sochti hu! Pr aaj ke din yaad aa hi jati hai baat ki."

"Accha, apna mood off maat kr. Chowmein aagaye!"

They were her favourite, she loved chowmein. With a bright smiles on their faces, Anshuman and Sarika stuffed their faces with the food enjoying every bite. The bitter memories are long forgotten.

Unknown to them was a pair of green eyes. Set on the duo laughing, unaware of their surroundings, having the time of their lives. 

Hey guys! I'm putting Foreigner on hold, I'm struggling to come up with ideas. But here is the next short story whilst you wait! Enjoy!
And sorry for the very late update