Misunderstanding - Over the Years

"Mr. Raichand, here is your coffee and the list of meetings for the day with the timings and locations. Is there anything else I can do for you?" The secretary states whilst placing the file on the desk.

"No, that's all Simmi." Abhay waves his left hand towards his secretary, indicating that she can leave. He's unknown to the secret feelings his secretary holds for him, he's never noticed the way she would walk or stand closer to him, pay extra attention to him, give him her brightest smile. Always wanting to find a way to spend more time with him, to get him to notice her. But much to her dismay, he's always dismissive, he's never taken notice of the girl's efforts.

Abhay stands up and fixes his navy shirt and cream pants before making his way over to the meeting. His brother, Abeer, was already there. Abhay was going to be guiding his brother today because it was his first-ever presentation. Abeer had just turned 25 and his father, Gautam, was eager to have him join the company, especially since he completed his business education. As Abhay walks into the meeting hall, he is greeted by empty seats and his brother pacing the front, fixing his black tie and a very messy presentation desk. 

Normally when Abhay enters the hall there are several employees standing and greeting him, making way for him, wanting to get in his good book, but today that wasn't the case. And that's because Abeer had insisted on his brother coming an hour early to listen to his presentation. If anyone else had asked, Abhay would have lost it and decided that they were not capable enough for the role they'd been given. But that's not the case for his brother.

"Bhai, thank God you came. I thought you wouldn't come."

"I can't believe I'm here, if dad hadn't insisted I wouldn't have come."

"Please bhai, you care that's why you're here."

"The only thing I care about here is the Raichand reputation. Which is at stake with you presenting today."

"Whatever it is, all I care about is that you're here."

.

.

.

.

.

.

The meeting went half an hour over, that's because Abeer had stumbled on a few things, like the budget quotation, and the time frame for the project, and he encountered some technical difficulties. He was incredibly disappointed; it wasn't like that when he practised with his sister and when he presented to his brother. Alas, when the meeting is over, Gautam pats his younger son's shoulder and gives him some encouragement. Abhay suggests he goes for a walk.

"You'll get better over time, and fumbles like this are normal. You can't do anything about technical problems anyway. You did great, now don't worry and go for a walk."

"Bhai, you come with me too. If I'm alone, I'll keep thinking about the stupid presentation."

"Okay, Dad we'll be back soon, the next meeting isn't for another hour anyway."

The brothers make their way over to the local café bookshop and stand in line to place their order.

"Hi sir, what can I get for you today?"

"I'll take an iced coffee, with extra cream. And could you add sprinkles to that too? And I'll also take two of the chocolate chip cookies and the small lava mud cake. Thank you!" Abeer requests.

"Sure! And for you sir?"

"I'll take a black coffee, no milk, no sugar. We'll be having our drinks here."

The brothers make their way over to the table with their drinks.

"Bhai, really. How do you drink this?" Abeer points to Abhay's coffee and cringes as he takes a sip.

"Abeer, seriously how do you eat this?" Came the reply as Abhay points to the cake where the chocolate is oozing out and spilling onto the plate.

"Bhai, aaj mere din kharab ja raha hai. Please app mere sweets ko nazar maat lagaiye."

(Brother, I'm having a bad day. Don't ward an evil eye on my sweets.)

Abhay laughs at his brother as he huddles his sweets closer to him, and then he looks at him more carefully.

"You did great today Abeer, don't let small things like this get to you. Okay?"
"Hmm, I don't know what happened. I was fine this morning with you. Didn't even have any technical issues."

"You did great with me because you're comfortable with me. Tumne aapni zindagi ke saare presentations mere samne practice kiye hai. Later when you get to know everyone better, you'll get comfortable with them."

(You've practised all your presentations in front of me, your whole life.)

Abhay has always been a supportive and protective brother; he's harsh and believes in tough love but he's always there for them, Abeer and their little sister Ruhi. In his mind, he's looking out for them, making sure they're okay and capable of dealing with the real world. The world his father has kept them secure from. The real world is harsh, especially for them, being in the limelight all the time, having people follow them, take pictures to write articles. Finding any excuse to tarnish their name. 

Abhay was never ready for it when it happened to him 5 years ago, but he doesn't want that to repeat for his siblings. Then he wasn't powerful enough, he wasn't influential enough to make a stop to the rumours spread about him, and he couldn't protect the innocent soul who got dragged into the mess. He tried, he tried hard, he went to the news companies and tried to contact the paparazzi, but to no avail. Abhay Raichand was only the son of an influential businessman, nothing else.

But now, it's different. He's worked his way up, he's paved his own path, and he's become the man he wishes he was 5 years ago. People care for what he has to say, they don't want Abhay Raichand to be upset, and people aren't dismissive of him like they were before. His father was always there for him, he had also tried to clear the name of his son and the poor girl years ago. But the media were desperate to get some dirt on the Raichand, they would do anything, it was out of control. Sometimes, Abhay thinks back to that night, the whole incident and everything that followed. He wishes that he could have done something to stop the way this had affected him, his family and especially the girl whose name he had discovered was Sarika.

"Bhai? Kahan kho gaye?" Abeer clicks his finger in front of Abhay's face, taking him out of his trance.

(Brother, where are you lost?)

"Nothing, are you done? Then we'll leave."

"No bhai, look here! The connecting bookshop is so cute. I'm sure we'll find something here for Riya!"

Abhay nods his head, and they move towards the store.

Hey Guys!!! 

I'd really appreciate it if you follow me on my Instagram and show me some support there

ID - aahaana02_writer

Hope you enjoyed the chapter.