📘 Loosing the Battle

Beads of sweat dripped down my forehead as I sprinted down the hallway, gasping for breath. My heart thudded in my chest, and my legs burned with exertion as I tried to put as much distance as possible between myself and whatever was chasing me.

The dim lights overhead flickered, casting strange shadows on the walls, and the splashing of the waterlogged tiles on the floor echoed through the silent hallway. Every muscle in my body screamed for me to stop, but I knew that I had to keep moving, to keep running.

My feet pounded against the floor, and my breathing came in ragged gasps as I pushed myself to go faster. The sound of something splashing through the water behind me grew louder, urging me to run even harder. I felt as though I was running for my life, and I knew that I couldn't afford to stop.

Despite the fear that gripped me, I couldn't help but wonder what was after me. The uncertainty only fueled my terror, and I felt as though my mind was racing out of control.

But no matter how hard I tried to focus, my eyes kept darting around, scanning the surroundings for any sign of escape. All I could see was the flickering light and the waterlogged carpet stretching out ahead of me, seemingly without end.

Another splash echoed through the hallway, closer this time, and I knew that I had to keep moving. My legs felt like lead, and my lungs burned with exertion, but I can't stop. I had to keep running, to keep pushing forward, to keep fighting for my life.

A distant light at the end of the tunnel grew brighter, beckoning me to run faster. But the splashing sound behind me grew louder and more relentless with every passing second. I knew that whatever was chasing me was getting closer, and it was only a matter of time before it caught up to me.

My heart pounded in my chest as I pushed myself to run harder, counting down the meters as I went. "Come on, I'm almost there," I muttered under my breath, willing my body to keep moving despite the fear that gripped me.

Only ten meters to go.

I could hear the sound of splashing getting louder, and I knew that I had to keep going.

Eight meters left.

But as I took another step forward, the sound of splashing was joined by the sound of something breathing down my neck.

Six meters.

With a jolt of fear, I realized that whatever was after me was almost upon me. I could feel its breath on my skin, and I knew that I had to move faster.

My eyes darted back and forth as I counted down the meters, the sound of splashing growing louder with every step.

The hand touched my shoulder and I froze as the figure passed me, knowing that it was too late.

I was not first in line for the ice cream truck.