Australia - part 5

Race day. We had an easy morning together and ate something on our way to the track. Toto wasn't nervous per se but I did notice a slight change of attitude towards the crew and towards me. We were headed towards the garage when Daniel ran by towards his own garage. He smiled and waved at us and Toto actually waved back.

I laughed and looked up at him with a questionable look on my face. Surprised about the quick turn around.

He shook his head and smiled back. "Let's go." He said and entered the garage. We greeted everyone and sat down at Toto's spot behind the monitor. He quickly reached out for another stool for me to sit on and placed it next to his. He made sure I was comfortable before sitting down himself. I handed him his glasses and placed his phone on the desk. He had a calmness over him that I haven't seen this weekend. A good gut feeling maybe? Or something else.

He put on his headphones and cleared his throat before speaking into the microphone. "Good luck everyone, we made some progress this weekend so we will see how it works out this race." He said and turned off the mic. He looked at me and winked. A blush spread over my face for the first time this day. I haven't blushed this much in my life before meeting Toto. He quickly dragged a finger over my red cheek before turning back towards the monitor. The cars made their way to start finish to line up. The garage was buzzing with excitement and anticipation. And it being my first race while working for Mercedes made it extra special. My heart was pounding against my chest and my breath hitched when the formation lap began. A large hand flexed around my knee, the thumb brushing up and down and the fingertips scratching softly at the cap. I took a deep breath, squeezed the hand once before letting go and feeling the hand withdraw.

3.

2.

1.

Lights out and away we go.

———

Verstappen had an dnf as did Sainz. Leclerc finished first with Perez behind in second. And George Russell...

FUCKING THIRD!

George Russell finished third at the Australian Grand Prix with Lewis Hamilton following behind in fourth place.

I didn't register being hoisted up high up in the air until I saw Toto's face looking up at me. He held me tight against him, high up in the air and cheers and shouts filling the garage. This is what they needed, this is what we needed.

I smiled at him and leant in closer. "Congratulations! I told you he would get his podium!" I cheered and he put me back down and laughed.

He walked towards Bono and James and hugged them. We all went outside walked towards the car's at start finish.

As soon as I saw him, I walked towards George. "You did it! I told you!" I yelled and he hugged me, hitting the side of my head with his helmet. He was close to crying but the smile on his face was holding them back for now.

"This is amazing Romée, absolutely amazing." He hugged me one more time before heading over to the weigh in and the cool down room.

Toto walked back to the garage and I walked after him, wondering why he was walking away.

"Running off so you wouldn't have to buy me dinner?" I chuckled and he took a step closer to me and grabbed my face in his hands.

"I will take you to dinner when ever and where ever you want." He kissed me and smiled into the kiss. "You might be my good luck charm and I should treat my baby well"

I chuckled but we got interrupted by the sound of a throat clearing. We quickly took a step back and turned around. Peter was standing there with a small grin on his face. Angela entered the garage as well and Peter turned to her. "Pay up, Cullen." He says and I frowned in confusion.