Chapter 71 - Hidden Messages

Lucy's POV

"What?!" we heard the shock of our security team shout over the earpiece. Their shout almost made me deaf in one ear. I felt a bit scared as Acnologia gave us kind smile which I knew behind the façade was fake. Natsu wrapped his arm around my waist casually and protectively. His presence was enough to keep me calm.

"This is Mr Dragneel and his date Miss Heartfilia. Mr Dragneel manages a lot of successful businesses and has been a highly valued business partner of mine for years" Mr White introduced. I believed Mr White has no idea about who 'Mr Acnologia' really is.

"Do you need me to intervene boss?" we heard Gray's voice over the earpiece. I could see him casually walking into view next to us a little away while keeping an eye on Acnologia. Natsu casually scratched his nose, the secret signal to stand down. Gray noticed the signal and hesitantly backed away but stayed close enough in case something happens.

"Is that right?" Acnologia said with fake interest. As if he didn't know about Natsu. "Yes that's correct, and I don't let anyone touch what I hold dear" Natsu replied as he pulled me closer to him so our hips were touching. Obviously showing a second meaning to his words. Mr White looked slightly confused by Natsu's choice of words. Acnologia smirked for a moment. "I have a different way of handling my 'business'. I like to destroy my competition" he replied with his own double meaning. He turned his glance to me "by any means necessary."

I noticed Natsu's jaw slightly tighten. Mr White continued to look confused. "Well, we better keep moving. We have a lot of people to greet before dinner" Natsu said and then walked away with me in tow. I took a quick glance over my shoulder and saw a sickening smirk grow on Acnologia's as he looked at me. His smirk disappeared and turned into a kind smile when Mr White began to talk to him.

Natsu led us to where Gray and Juvia were standing near a wall, each holding a glass of champagne in their hand. "I can't believe Acnologia is here. Do you think he came to attack?" Gray asked. Natsu took a quick glance over his shoulder at Acnologia speaking to Mr White. "I don't think so. I think it's a total coincidence. He is a businessman in society's eyes" Natsu replied. "What should we do?" Juvia asked.

Natsu took a moment to think. "After the dinner is over. Levy, Gajeel, keep your eyes on the security cameras and follow where he goes. Don't lose him. Alzack and Bisca, if you have a chance to snipe him without any civilians around, you take it. Gray, Juvia, follow him quietly, I'll follow you shortly after" he said. "What should I do?" I asked him. I want to help in any way I can. "You are staying in the van with Erza and Wendy" he replied.

"What? I want to help, not sit on the sidelines" I argued. He turned his body so he was standing in front of me and held my face gently in his hands. "You will be helping by staying with Erza and Wendy. I can't focus on fighting Acnologia if I'm busy worrying about you" he replied. I pouted because he made a good point. He chuckled and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek.

A few dings of glass caught our attention and everyone in the room turned to Mr White who made the noise with his champagne glass and a spoon. "Ladies and gentlemen, dinner is ready. If you could please follow me to the dining room" he announced. Everyone followed him into the next room where a long golden dining table stood with lush white chairs.