Chapter 78 - Dreams & Imagination

Natsu's POV

It's been three days since we rescued Lucy. Wendy said she should be waking up any day now. I spent each day in the infirmary sitting by Lucy's bedside. Desperately waiting for her to show me those beautiful chocolate brown eyes of hers. When the first night fell, Laxus said he would watch over her while I got some rest but when I got home, I tossed and turned in bed. My penthouse was filled with memories of Lucy.

The memory of her haunted my dreams. Every nightmare was almost the same. I was watching Acnologia having fun torturing Lucy in different ways each time. I tried to run and save Lucy but my body was frozen and no sound came from my mouth. After waking up with my body completely soaked with sweat, I urgently had a quick shower. As soon as I changed into some fresh clothes, I rushed back to Dragneel Inc., back to Lucy.

Since then, I've spent every night sleeping by Lucy's bedside. The nightmares immediately disappeared when I slept next to Lucy where I could hold her hand and smell her scent, knowing she was safe. As I was sleeping beside Lucy's bed, dreaming of Lucy enjoying a strawberry milkshake at her favourite café, I felt someone playing with my hair. It felt good and familiar. I opened my eyes and looked for the person who was playing with my hair. My eyes travelled up to find Lucy smiling down at me. She's finally awake! "Lucy!" I exclaimed and I stood up. I couldn't express how happy I was to see her awake into words so I put both hands on her cheeks and kissed her. We kissed for about a minute before I pulled away. "Well, good morning to you too" Lucy smiled with a blush on her cheeks.

A groan interrupted our heartfelt moment. We turned towards the noise and we see Gray in his bed with his back to us. He turned his head and looked over his shoulder. "Why do you always do PDA when I'm in the room?" he complained before turning away. Instead of fighting him, I decided to mess with him. I gave Lucy a quick wink and mouth 'play along'.

"Oh Lucy I can't hold it anymore" I said and let out a fake groan. Lucy realised what I was trying to do and suppressed a giggle. "Oh Natsu...we can't...Gray'll see" she said in a sexy voice, playing along, and honestly it turned me on...but that's for later. "Who cares if he sees? I'm just so pent-up. Holy crap these are super soft!" I said. "Don't stop Natsu!" she exclaimed in excitement and that was the last straw for Gray. He sat up and turned to us with a glare. "How can you two be so indecent when I'm-Huh?!" he stopped his rant when he noticed us laughing. His face immediately went red in embarrassment. "Now what were you imagining us doing Ice Stripper?" I laughed. He grumbled, laid down with his back turned towards us and covered his body with his blanket. "Stupid Flame Brain" I heard him growl.

Now that Gray was going to stay out of our one-on-one time, I turned to Lucy. "How are you feeling?" I asked Lucy. "I'm definitely feeling a lot better than before but I'm still sore in some places" she replied. I remembered Wendy leaving some painkiller tablets and two glasses of water on the table between Gray and Lucy. I walked around her bed and grabbed the tablets and a glass of water. "Take this" I said as I gave her the tablets and glass of water. She took them from me and swallowed the tablets. I took the glass of water and put it back on the table.

When I sat back down beside her, she reached out and held my cheek. I looked at her curiously and she had tears in her eyes. "I thought I lost you" she said and then the tears fell down her cheeks. I realised she was talking about when I jumped off the building with Acnologia. She barely had time to acknowledge I was saved by Happy before she passed out. I reached out and wiped her tears away. "I'm sorry for worrying you" I said and rested my forehead on hers.

I pulled away and climbed onto her bed. She didn't complain as I cuddled her close to by chest. The clock on the wall caught my attention and I saw it was 3am. "It's 3am right now, do you want to get some more sleep?" I asked her. Even though she's been asleep for three days, maybe she needs a few more hours. She shook her head and cuddled closer to me. "I'm not tired. Can we stay like this and talk?" she asked. I smiled, "of course, your wish is my command" I replied. We spent the morning talking about whatever came to mind until our friends came.