Chapter 5 - History Hates Lovers

—————————————————————

As Kezra added the items he needed into a duffle bag, Gandalf's words circled through his head. It confused him. "You two know more than you know." How can you know more than what you know?

Kezra zipped the bag shut, before standing. His eyes wandered over to his bed. He frowned. Kezra headed over to his bed and before he could stop himself, he yanked the mattress off the bed frame.

The goat hybrid shook his head, confused. But just as he was about to set the mattress back on the bed, something white caught his eyes. He frowned and picked it up. It was a mask of some kind. It had a bright purple sign on it. Bright purple? Maybe more of a glowing purple? Kezra turned it over in his hands to the back of the mask.

Xera

Xera. The name sounded strangely familiar. But how? It possibly couldn't be his own name. His birth name was Kezra. Even his birth certificate stated so. At least that's what he remembered.

Kezra held the mask, wondering if he should put it on or not. It wasn't his as far as he knew. But he was curious. Kezra looked down at the mask. And he brought it up to his face. As if it belonged to him, the mask fit perfectly. When Kezra removed his hand, the mask did not fall. Instead his vision filled with purple. And when it faded, he gasped quietly before yanking it off.

Kezra stared at the mask before shoving it into his bag without thought or hesitation.

. . .

Drake and Ian stepped into their dorm. Pleb closed the door behind them, not trusting them to not slam it this time.

"Well, better start packing," Pleb said, bringing her bag over her head. She headed towards her room, leaving the boys to themselves.

"Does it seem like she's hiding something?" Ian asked when Drake slammed the door despite Pleb's yells not to.

"Does it?" Drake raised an eyebrow.

"She seems to be."

"What makes you say that?"

"I don't know. Her voice is a little more high pitched than usual," Ian said, dumping everything out of his school bag onto his bed.

"So?" Drake reached for a bag at the top of his closet.

"So," Ian said, going through his things, looking for something to bring. He turned to Drake. "We've known her for years."

"Two years," Drake corrected.

"Yea, yea." Ian made a dismissive waving motion with his hands. "But we know whenever she's hiding something, she starts isolating herself and small, almost unnoticeable things change about her. In this case, her voice."

"Okay? Maybe it's just a little thing. Maybe a little bug?"

"I'm telling you. She's hiding something."

Drake sighed. "We'll ask her about it later. Does that satisfy you?"

"Fine."

. . .

Pleb hurried around her room, finding things to put in her bag. She threw them on her bed before deciding how to organize them to make them fit in her bag.

She picked up her bag to find that it had weight. She opened it to find the three books from the library. Did Gandalf even give them back?

She sat on the edge of her bed and opened the history book.

The Cod Empire and Rivendell Alliance

"The Ocean Empire and Rivendell had a longstanding rivalry for centuries. So of course, when the Cod Empire was created, it was included in the list of Rivendell's enemies and vice versa.

However, Scott Dangthatsalongname Major and James Solidarity Delqua changed that. Major and Solidarity became allies. The newfound alliance between Rivendell and the Cod Empire broke the 923 year long rivalry between Rivendell and the Ocean Empire.

Pleb sighed and opened the Preserving History book.

The Cod Empire and Rivendell Alliance - Fact or Fiction?

In the history books, Scott Dangthatsalongname Major and James Solidarity Delqua were nothing more than allies. And their alliance ended the 900 to 1000 year rivalry between Rivendell and the Ocean Empire. However, some of this is true. Some of this false.

The rivalry indeed lasted for 900-1000 years. Specifically, 923 years. However, Scott Major and James Delqua had something a little more than an alliance. Letters from both rulers were found. These letters were addressed to the other ruler.

Tell me one thing: What kind of allies write letters to each other that have sayings such as, "love you," or loving remarks. What kind of allies confirm their alliance with a date? What kind of allies write letters talking about their wants to live together and start a family?

It's quite obvious they have something a little more than an alliance.

Pleb closed both history books and scoffed. It's like they say. History hates lovers.

Pleb frowned. Where did she hear that phrase before? She never heard it before in her life. At least, as far as she knew.

The avian girl's eyes drifted up to a bookshelf above her bed. Huh. It was definitely out of reach if she stood. The vines covered the books and supported what was left of the supports that held the shelf up.

The wings on her back fluttered. Pleb's wings never grew to their full length. She couldn't fly high and fast like other avians. She just hovered around. Which suited her fine.

Pleb brushed the vines away from the shelf and subconsciously plucked an old spiral bound notebook from the shelf. She landed back on the floor and threw the book onto the pile.