Capitolo Venticinque

I was now 8 1/2 months pregnant and felt like a beach whale. I was happy to have had a healthy and relatively normal pregnancy but I was tired of being pregnant and was ready to go ahead and have the baby. It was a chore to even get out of bed or walk up and down the stairs. Domenico and I celebrated our one year anniversary several months ago with a romantic dinner which included Daniele throwing food on both of us and himself. But I wouldn't have had it any other way.

"Apollonia you mustn't do that!" Antonia scolded taking the laundry basket out of my hands and guiding me to a nearby chair. "I'm your condition you have to be more careful."

"I've told her that," my husband came in giving me a knowing look. "You're the only one she listens to."

I rolled my eyes at him as he continued on into the kitchen with Danny in his arms. He was constantly telling me that but even if I could barely walk I refused to listen, much to his dismay.

"Are you ready?" Antonia smiled as he took a seat next to me. She more excited than I was and that was saying something because I was bouncing off the walls to see my baby. "I am," I said rubbing my stomach as the baby kicked away under my touch.

"My second grand-baby," Antonia's eyes misted over with tears at the thought of having another grandchild to love and spoil unconditionally. With the way it was going the only grandchildren that Antonia would be getting would be coming from Domenico and I. "I'm just so happy for the two of you!"

We shared a hug as we both had tears coming down our faces. It was an emotional moment, especially considering that my own mother wouldn't be there when I gave birth for the first time.

Domenico walked in just we were wiping the tears away. "What's wrong now?" He said with a sigh.

"Nothing we were just talking about the baby," Antonia sniffled.

As he wrapped an arm around each of us I felt a gush of liquid rush down. I let out a gasp of surprise as did Antonia who was staring at the floor.

"What is it?" Domenico asked keeping his usual calm composure while I struggled to find the ability to speak.

"I think my water just broke," I looked up at him with wide eyes. "We need to go to the hospital!"

He picked me up bridal style with ease and headed for the front door calling over his shoulder for his mother to watch Danny and then to meet us at the hospital. "Good luck Apollonia!" Giovanna called from the front door as Domenico sat me down in the passenger seat of the Audi sports car before starting the engine and driving out of the villa and towards the hospital.

"Are you in any pain?" He asked not showing any emotion choosing instead to keep his focus on the road.

"No," I breathed. "Not yet anyway."

We drove in silence until a contraction hit and I let out an agonizing scream. "Oh my God! It hurts so bad!"

"We're almost there, just relax." He increased his speed to well over the speed limit. We came a screeching holt at the parking lot of the hospital and were immediately escorted up to the maternity ward and into the private room we had reserved months ago.

"Good afternoon Mr. and Mrs. Manzoni," the aging doctor came into the room after my vitals had been checked and I was situated in the bed. "The little one decided to come a little early I see, but that's not a problem. From what I can tell the baby won't be arriving until probably late tonight or early tomorrow morning."

The labor was fairly normal from what the nurses told me and the doctor was on point when he predicted the baby's arrival at two o'clock in the morning. Domenico held my hand throughout the entire delivery with the exception of when he was invited to cut the cord. He wore a proud smile on his face as he held his newborn son, Christian Antonio Manzoni.