Capitolo Ventisei

"Let me hold my grandson" Antonia beamed as she reached out to take the baby from Domenico's arms. "Don't hog him Antonia," Giacomo scowled wanting to hold his newest grandson.

The two bickered over who's turn it was to hold the baby while Domenico tended to me, making sure I was comfortable and his parents weren't stressing me out in anyway.

I was still exhausted from the delivery but was relieved to finally be able to hold my son.

"Where's the baby?" Luisa asked followed by the four other Manzoni sisters. They all came with unnecessary gifts for the baby even though his nursery was already overflowing with the many toys, clothes, and books they had acquired for him.

"Mom has him," Domenico answered giving me a kiss on the forehead and wrapping an arm around me.

"Of course she does," Donna said with a shake of the head. Antonia was a baby magnet, whenever there was a baby in sight she had to hold it but when it was her own grandchild it was nearly impossible to get the baby back.

Carmine brought Giovanna to the hospital so that they could see the baby and go to dinner afterwards. Giovanna was in love the moment he saw him and wanted to take him home right away. Domenico and I shared a knowing look when we saw how Carmine admired Giovanna's ability to calm a baby down. He was definitely smitten but was too proud to admit it... poor guy.

I emailed my mom pictures of her first grandchild, positive she would be thrilled. He resembled his father down to the scowl he wore when he wasn't satisfied with something, it was cute but I hoped he smiled more than his father did. I also sent pictures to Claudia knowing she would be blowing up my phone trying to get in touch with me.

"I think Apollonia needs to rest," Domenico suggested seeing how I was struggling to keep my eyes open and I still needed to feed Christian before he went to sleep. Antonia pouted before giving Domenico his son back and leaning over to hug me.

They all offered their congratulations and left, leaving Domenico, Christian, and I to ourselves for the first time since Christian was born several hours before.

"He looks like you," I mused glancing up to see my husband's expression. "He does doesn't he," my husband responded.

"He seems to be a good baby," Domenico commented. "My mother told me that I was quite like he is."

"Like father like son hmm?" I giggled.

"Hopefully he's better than me," Domenico said seriously.

"You're a pretty good person," I snuggled closer to my husband.

"No Apollonia I'm not," he argued. "I'm a good person when it concerns you and my children, other than that I'm not a bad man who does terrible things." Domenico stood up and went to the large window that overlooked the parking lot. 

I placed Christian back into the bassinet the hospital had designated as his with the name BABY MANZONI printed on the front card, and grasped my husband's hand as stood next to him. "What's wrong? We should be so happy right now," I pleaded with him trying to erase the stone cold look on his face.

"I'm sorry Apollonia," he turned to look at me wrapping an arm around my waist and guiding me back to the hospital bed. "I don't want you to be upset. I am happy to have another son and I am proud of how well you handled yourself during the delivery. Don't worry about me, I'm a little preoccupied with business."

Just as he said that Christian began to squirm and let out a whimper before full on crying. "Somebody wants their daddy," I smiled as my husband immediately picked him up to soothe him. No matter what he said I knew that deep down he was a good person, even if it was just to the children and to myself.