Capitolo Diciassette

When I woke up I realized that I was alone in bed, as opposed to the previous morning. After getting ready for the day I walked into Daniele's room like I do every morning. There I found Domenico and Daniele still in the rocking chair, in the same position I left them the night before but this time they were asleep.

I decided to go ahead and make breakfast; full of waffles, eggs, french toast, and much more. I poured orange juice in a sippy cup for Daniele.

"Good morning," Domenico walked in wearing a freshly pressed suit and carrying the once crying toddler who was finally looking content.

"Good morning," I greeted standing on my tip toes to give him a kiss. "And how are you this morning my baby," I turned my attention to the smiling child.

I sat him in his high chair that was placed between our seats at the dining room table.

"I missed you last night," my husband whispered huskily in my ear while wrapping his arms around my waist from behind. "I missed you too," I turned around giving him a second kiss before the whining of Daniele broke us apart. "Okay okay we get it your hungry," I said earning a chuckle from Domenico.

While we were eating the Manzoni family lawyer entered the house carrying his usual brief case. "Good morning Domenico, Apollonia, Daniele." He greeted us all.

"I have contacted Flora and her husband in Chicago," he started opening his brief case. "They have signed away all legal and financial rights that they have to Daniele over to the two of you. All I need now is to know who will be the official legal guardians of Daniele."

"Both of us," Domenico is quick to answer. "I want Apollonia as his legal guardian, but keep Francesca as his mother on the birth certificate."

"Apollonia I'm assuming you're on board with this?" The lawyer asked with a kind smile which I returned.

"Of course" I said gently wiping away at the maple syrup coating Daniele's mouth.

"All I need is your signature on a few forms," he handed me a stack of papers which I quickly marked with my signature.

"Congratulations Daniele is now an official Manzoni and congratulations to you as well Apollonia," he said.

After he left Domenico decided that this called for an official celebration and invited the entire Manzoni clan over for dinner.

"You have a son," Domenico said leaning against the marble countertop as I began cooking. "I know I'm so happy," I gushed not being able to wipe the smile from my face. It was official and it just made everything better.

"Mama. Daddy," Daniele's soft voice rang out after everyone had left our house. Daniele was extremely shy throughout and clung to the people he knew for dear life.

"What do you need Danny?" Domenico asked to the miniature version of himself.

"Bear," he said. We both knew that if Daniele had lost his teddy bear then we were in for a long night.

"Where did you put it?" Domenico asked.

"I don't remember," Daniele pouted.

"We'll find it," I said having just finished cleaning the kitchen and the dining room.

Finding the bear proved to be easier said than done. We tore apart the entire mansion looking for that damn bear. It was well passed three in the morning when we finally found it, in the very bottom of the basket in the laundry room. When Daniele was asleep at last we crawled into bed.