Capitolo Uno

"Please Papa don't make me do this," Apollonia pleaded with her father who towered over her with a hard, angry stare.

"Benito she is a good girl, please don't make her do this. She should be here, please Benito!" My mother sobbed as she grabbed onto my father's tailored suit.

You maybe wondering what has transpired here, on the Long Island mansion I have called home since the day I was born. My father Benito DiMarco has just announced that I would be marrying Domenico Manzoni, the name itself just holds so much power and makes even the strongest of men shake.

"Apollonia is old enough to marry and leave the house. It's that simple Rosalia, accept it and move on." My father walked back around to his desk and sat down ignoring my mother's heaving figure and my trembling one.

"You can not take her away from me Benito! She is not ready to be married to a real Sicilian man, especially one like Domenico! He will beat her and not care for her the way she needs to be cared for."

"Rosalia I am only going to say this once, so you better listen. Domenico can do whatever he wants to Apollonia once they are married, you know as well as I that it is not out of the ordinary for men to beat their wives when they step out of line," my father looked up momentarily at my mother. "Take that as a warning Rosalia. I don't want to hear anymore from either one of you."

My father signaled for one of his guards to escort both of us out of his office. My mother stayed in tears for several more weeks, especially when my father told her that Domenico would be coming to meet with him in a few days. I had always been anxious around my father, but that was nothing compared to my future husband.

Domenico was undeniably good looking with his smoldering eyes, dark brown hair and muscular but lean build at 6'2. But with one look he could send me breaking out in a nervous sweat.

"Apollonia say hello to Domenico," my father commanded as I stood to face the handsome man looking directly at me.

"Hello Domenico," I said finding the ground suddenly fascinating.

"Don't be rude Apollonia look at him," my father was seething at this point.

"It's fine Benito, she's just nervous," my mother spoke up from her spot on the burgundy couch aganist the wall. The next thing anybody knew my father was gripping my mother's arm in his tight grip, dragging her down the hall no doubt to punish her speaking out of turn.

An awkward silence passed over the room as I desperalty looked anywhere but at the impeccably dressed man in front of me.

"The wedding will be this weekend at my villa in Sicily, then you will be staying there after we are married," Domenico spoke suddenly. I looked up at him to see him gazing intently at me. "When you are in Sicily you will be expected to speak Italian." I nodded 'yes' as I heard the wailing and pleas of my mother in a room down the hall.

I wanted so desperatly to ask if he would ever abuse me or our children the way my father did to my mother and I. But I didn't have the courage to say anything.

"My sisters will be your bridesmaids and so will your cousin Claudia, I know you are close with her." I thought that was sweet that he was thoughtful enough to include my cousin since I didn't have any sisters or close friends besides Claudia, I had basically been living in a bubble for the last 21 years.

"You are aware that it is expected that you will be having my children." He glanced down at my small and fraile frame, most likely judging whether or not I could actually carry a baby. I was significantly smaller than other Italian women due to being sickly as a child. "I'm sure you know that having sons is vital in this lifestyle." Once again I only nodded.

"I'm sorry for that Domenico my apologies," my father entered again but this time without my mother. "I see you and Apollonia have become acquanited. Has she been acting accordingly?"

"Yes she has been most delightful," Domenico replied.

"Well that's very good now let's talk buisness shall we?" My father led Domenico out of the sitting room and down the hall to his office, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

In several days I will be in Sicily, married to the most dangerous mobster in the world, living in a villa by the sea, and away from my mother. I couldn't wrap my head around what was happening and I couldn't cry, I didn't think I had any tears left to cry.

What worried me the most was that I couldn't figure out my future husband. Was he going to be considerate of my needs or the cold and dark man I had heard so much about. Only time would tell.