Capitolo Ventotto

Christian was now four months old and had taken a liking to grabbing onto my hair and earrings at any given chance. Domenico was working more than ever before, we barely had anytime to see each other, much less be intimate. So you could imagine my shock when I discovered that I was pregnant again!

It wasn't a planned baby, but certainly not a mistake. I was excited that the boys would have another sibling so close in age. Of course it would be a lot of work to take care of three children under the age of five, but it would all be worth it.

Domenico was happy but was not as invested in this pregnancy as he was with the first one. It was hard trying to get him excited when he was irritated most of the time. I wanted to ask what was going on but I knew he would just get more aggravated than he already was and shut me out more than he already was.

"Domenico?" I called as Daniele playfully knocked on his office door while I held a kid in each arm.

"What is it?," I heard him sigh obviously not wanting to be bothered with his wife and children.

"The boys wanted to come say bye-bye before they go to spend the night at your parent's house," I responded setting the boys down in his lap. "Is something wrong?" I didn't miss the glare he was shooting my way as Christian grabbed at his face and Danny began to mess with the various items on his desk.

"I'm busy Apollonia, I would appreciate it if you would keep the children away when I'm working."

"What is it that you're even working on?"

"It's none of your business," he said through gritted teeth.

"If you told me then maybe I could understand why you're so on edge," I tried to reason desperate to get him to understand my point of view.

"I have work to do," Domenico handed me back Christian as Daniele stumbled around the office. "You should leave."

I didn't want to start a full blown screaming match with the kids right there so I took the boys and left Dom to himself. My feelings were hurt but I wasn't about to waste my time crying about my inconsiderate husband when I had two kids to care for.

Later that evening after the boys had gone to stay the night with Antonia and Giacomo, and Giovanna was out of town to visit a relative I was left to be by myself. Domenico still hadn't left his office and it seemed as if he wasn't planning to anytime soon.

Suddenly heavy footsteps sounded and Domenico stood in the doorway. "Where are the boys?"

"I told you they would be at your parent's for the night," I responded turning back to my book.

"Oh yeah," he rubbed his hand down his face tiredly before heading up the stairs to bed. "Aren't you coming?"

"I think I'll stay down here," I said not bothering to look up.

"Why?" He quirked an eyebrow.

"Because I can," I hissed back growing steadily pissed off that he had the nerve to question me when I couldn't ask him a simple question.

"I'm sorry for being distant Apollonia," he sighed. "But there's a lot that I have to do and the less you know the better. I'm trying to keep you, the boys, and this new baby out of harms way."

Suddenly an urgent knock sounded from the kitchen door and Dom drew a gun from the waistband of his dress pants. He gestured for me to get behind him as he proceeded into the kitchen with his finger poised on the trigger ready to shoot at the first sign of danger.

"Dom open up!" The familiar voice of Carmine called through the door.

I let out a breath I didn't know I had been holding as Domenico opened the door and ushered his cousin inside.

"Sorry for the scare Apollonia," Carmine apologized before turning to speak to my husband. "We got word about Emilio's whereabouts. One of my guys said he saw him in Ragusa, he seems to be planning something big."

"Which one of your guys saw him?" Domenico questioned looking out of the kitchen window discreetly.

"Frank's nephew Dante," Carmine responded giving me a glance. "Should Apollonia be listening to this?"

"No but I need her to be where I can see her," my husband said firmly. Carmine obviously understood what he meant because he nodded in agreement while I just stood there completely confused.

"What do you mean?" I looked from one dark haired man to the other waiting for an answer.

"I mean that you need to stay close with me," Domenico said.

"Like how you have wanted me close around for these past couple of weeks?" I bit back.

"Don't start Apollonia!" My husband spoke through gritted teeth with his jaw twitching in aggravation.

Carmine took to glancing nervously between the two of us like a child witnessing his parents argue before interrupting, "Trouble in paradise?"

"Shut up!" Dom snapped not taking his glare off of me. "Apollonia you nee-," he was interrupted by the sound of heavy glass shattering and gun shots ringing throughout the foyer.