Capitolo Sei

Emilio Marrone's balding figure was hard to miss especially when he stalked over to you and glared down at you with his beady black eyes and sadistic smile.

"Domenico I see you brought the little wife with you," Emilo didn't even bother to look at Domenico but instead focused his stare on me. "She's very beautiful." His compliment unnerved me more than I already was at this point but I tried to muster a small smile.

'Thank God Domenico is between us,' I thought. It was the one time since I had married him that I was grateful to him for anything.

"Yes she is," Domenico replied grasping my shaking hand under the table away from Emilio's prying eyes and giving it a reassuring squeeze. "Please sit," Domenico said keeping a calm exterior and for all I know a calm interior as well.

"What was it that you needed to discuss Emilio?" My husband was all business now.

"Nothing in particular I was just curious to see if you would actually do it," was the evil man's answer.

"Do what exactly?" Domenico didn't seem too keen to hear the answer.

"Put your new bride in harms way," Emilio said. "She is so young and so beautiful, I was sure that you would lock her up away from other men ... away from me."

Domenico's jaw tightened significantly and his grip on my hand hardened.

"If I were you I would keep her far away from someone like me. She's so innocent, so pure." Emilio's gaze seemed almost like he was hypnotised when he watched me. It caused fear to course through my veins and was too scared to even look up from hand grasping onto Domenico's.

"You're speaking out of line Emilio," Domenico was finally saying something. "Apollonia is a married woman now."

"I'm aware of that," Emilio spoke through gritted teeth.

"So what are you getting at?" Domenico's calm charade was beginning to slip away. "Apollonia is my wife that being said I suggest you keep her name out of your mouth and your mind."

"Do I need to remind you of what you did all those years ago Domenico?" Emilio's eyes were now wild with rage. "You brought this on yourself and your little wife."

"She hasn't done anything to you," Domenico spat. "You will not touch Apollonia or say her name again," he released my hand and slammed his fist on the table.

"Oh but I will," Emilio gave him an evil smile and then I heard the click of a gun. Emilio had pulled a revolver from his jacket pocket and had it pointed at Domenico. But my husband also had a gun in the face of his enemy.

Before I knew what was happening men surrounded us holding each other at gunpoint waiting for either Domenico or Emilio to start shooting off their gun first. "Apollonia go," Domenico ordered without sparing me a glance. I knew what I was supposed to do but I couldn't seem to move, it was as if I was locked in place. "Now," Domenico growled.

"W-what about you Domenico?" I was so scared I was amazed that I was able to form a single sentence. "I'll be fine but you need to leave now," he answered.

I nodded still shocked to be in this situation, never in my life have I had to literally run for my life. I ducked down underneath the table and began to feel around for the door handle on the floor in the darkness. I finally found it and opened it after fumbling to get a good enough grip on the handle. Once I had slipped through the opening in the hardwood floor I traveled down the creaking wooden staircase until I had come to another door that would lead to the outside world.

Gunshots rang out through the restaurant the second I had opened the second door and my pulse raced with fear of what could happen to the men I had come to know in the past month. I could only hope that they would make it out safely, especially my husband.