Capitolo Diciannove

Antonia and I prepared dinner along with the Manzoni sisters, minus Luisa. I couldn't stop smiling for the life of me, at least Domenico could hide his excitement under his normal hard exterior.

"Apollonia I haven't seen you stop smiling since we got here," Angela said stirring the pot of noodles that were cooking.

"Oh really?" I said tossing the caesar salad. "I guess it's just nice to finally meet this Carlo that Luisa is so in love with."

"I'm excited to see how dad and Domenico are going to handle it," Donna commented.

"Hush now Donna," Antonia scolded. "Your father and brother will behave themselves."

"And if they don't?" Carla challenged always loving it when their mother was in a tizzy over something.

"Then they will answer to me," Antonia huffed.

Once dinner was getting ready to be served Luisa and Carlo walked in.

"Carlo this is my father Giacomo and my brother Domenico," Luisa fidgeted nervously watching for what the two overprotective men would do.

To the relief of the rest of us they merely shook hands and invited him to sit down with the family.

"This is my brother's wife Apollonia, my mother Antonia," Luisa started through the rest of the table. "These are my younger sisters Angela, Carla, Donna and Maria."

Once we began eating Antonia took it upon herself to engage in conversation while I helped Daniele to feed himself.

"So Carlo where exactly are you from?" Antonia asked.

"I'm from Palermo originally," he answered taking a sip of wine.

"What are your intentions with Luisa?" Antonia continued on ignoring all the kicks she was getting from under the table and the pointed looks her daughters were giving her.

"Well I hope to marry her one day," Carlo answered smoothly. "Of course I would wait until I have the blessing of both of you and your husband."

"Good," Antonia said. "And while we are on the topic, have you and my daughter engaged in intercourse?"

"You weren't on that topic," Maria pointed out earning a deathly glare from her mother.

"Hush Maria," Antonia hissed.

I noticed the vein in Giacomo's head looked as if it were going to burst and Domenico's grip on his wine glass got noticeably tighter.

"No ma'am we haven't," Carlo answered uncomfortably.

"Now let's talk about something else shall we," Giacomo put an end to that conversation not wanting to hear about his daughter's sex life any longer. "Apollonia how has Daniele been?"

"He's doing well," I said. "He's actually been asking to go over to your house."

Giacomo beamed proudly that his grandson was to attached to him. It reminded him of the bond he had with Domenico when he was growing up.

"When will we be getting another grandchild?" Antonia said with a hopeful look. I shared an assumed glance with Domenico.

"Soon," my husband responded surprising the family. Antonia spit out her wine all over her light pink blouse.

"Soon? What does that mean?" Luisa asked. "Yes son what exactly does that mean?" Giacomo joined in.

"It means within five to six months," Domenico replied grasping my hand.

"Oh I'm so happy," Antonia exclaimed with tears flowing down her face. "Another grandchild!"

"Daniele you're going to have a baby brother or sister," Donna said.

"Baby," he repeated.

"Good boy!" Antonia gushed with tears streaming down her eyes. It would be the first time she would be able to see her grandchild grow up and not just pop into her life as a toddler. "I'm so happy to have a little granddaughter!"

"No no Antonia, we will have another grandson," Giacomo playfully argued. "Oh hush," Antonia waved him off.

"We just want a healthy, happy baby," I said smiling lovingly at my husband. We were ecstatic to be welcoming our own baby, not to mention a baby brother or sister for Daniele.