𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏 • 𝕀𝕘𝕟𝕠𝕣𝕒𝕟𝕥 𝔹𝕝𝕚𝕤𝕤

All Things Must End

        ᕼOᖇᖇIᗷᒪE ᑎIGᕼTᗰᗩᖇES plague my sleep, just as they have for the past year

OᖇᖇIᗷᒪE IGTᗰᗩᖇES plague my sleep, just as they have for the past year. I dream of the Fjerdan king who I killed after kidnapping me and threatening my life. I dream of the war between Ravka and Fjerda. I dream of the countless Grisha deaths that have resulted from the rising conflict between us and our enemies. Worst of all, I dream of Amelia getting hurt because of the war-torn world that we threw her into.

        I hear a distant voice calling out my name, but I am too wrapped up in my nightmares to listen. There is a hand on my shoulder squeezing lightly. Then, I am pulled from my sleep, jolting up from the mattress.

        I breathe heavily as I remember where I am. Aleksander is sitting up beside me, the covers are wrinkled and thrown off my body from tossing and turning.

        "It's alright," the Darkling says in a soothing voice, as he says night after night. "It was just a dream." He rubs my shoulder to get me to relax.

        Every night, I believe him when he says that everything is fine. Something about tonight was different. Finally, after a year of having these dreams, I say, "No, it's not alright." I hug my knees to my chest and exhale. "This world is house to more turmoil than ever before. Fjerda is even more ruthless with our Grisha now. It's not safe."

"It has never been safe, Alina."

"How comforting." I roll my eyes.

Aleksander scrutinizes me with great intensity, his brain forming infinite calculated responses. Finally, he slips out of bed and holds out his hand for me to take.

I narrow my eyes but take it anyway. He puts a hand on the small of my back and leads me out of the bedroom, padding down the empty corridor, our robes fluttering behind us. The Grand Palace is silent, almost eerie at night. There are no maids or guards navigating the halls this late. I have grown accustomed to the constant bubbling noise.

We stop at the end of the hallway which is where Amelia's bedroom poses. Aleksander quietly swings open her door to reveal a peacefully sleeping child. Her blonde curls are sprawled on the pillow, and small puffs of air leave her lips. Amelia's arm hangs off the bed, the other clutching a stuffed bear.

We both admire the sight. After a minute, Aleksander whispers, "What do you see?"

"I see Amelia sleeping safely in her bed."

He hums. "Exactly. She is safe, in her bed where no one can get her. As long as she is here with us, Amelia will be protected. As will we. That is all that matters: keeping this family safe. Don't worry about what is going on out there. We are here with you, unharmed and happy."

I sigh, relaxing into the Darkling's side as he holds me close.

He is right. Though I am Queen, and it is my responsibility to worry about what happens outside of this palace, the people that I love are truly all that matter. Amelia and Aleksander are safe. Everything is alright.