𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟓 • 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔽𝕚𝕟𝕒𝕝 𝔹𝕒𝕥𝕥𝕝𝕖

Why the late update, you ask? This is a very long chapter and also the book's climax, so I wanted to make sure it is worthy of your beautiful eyes glimpsing the many, many words. Is my excuse working? Are you buying it? Good. Enjoy!

        TᕼE ᗯIᑎᗪ ᗯᕼIᑭS TᕼᖇOᑌGᕼ my hair as I lean over the edge of the Hummingbird

        TE Iᑎᗪ ᗯᕼIS TᕼᖇOG my hair as I lean over the edge of the Hummingbird. After we ascended into the clouds, the ride became much smoother, but it still did nothing to ease my nausea. The nauseous feeling can be attributed to two factors: the flying ship with flimsy railings on each side to catch us during turbulence, and my newfound knowledge about Aleksander. He is using merzost.

        He knows the consequences of using it again, yet he chose to do it anyway. David said that he could not use merzost whatsoever after it was extracted from his body, or else his ailment would return, spreading more rapidly this time.

        There is always a cost to war. Even if we win this battle, is it worth the expense of Aleksander's life? To some, maybe, but not to me. I just need to find him. Perhaps he can undergo the same procedure as last time. Absorb the nichevo'ya into himself, condense the merzost, and imprison it within the "cataclysmic current" box that David made.

Everything will be alright, I assure myself. It has to be.

Upon receiving a gentle touch on my shoulder blade from Nikolai, I immediately sit up with alertness. Burning white light gathers in my hands instinctively. Nikolai joins me and leans against the railing, gazing down at the vast prairie grasslands below.

"I know I can be quite frightening, but there's no need to burn the ship down with everyone on board."

"Sorry. I'm just nervous."

"As expected when you are plummeting straight into a deadly battle."

        I chew on my bottom lip and train my eyes on the wispy clouds ahead. He looks at me perceptively and says, "But I suppose you've fought many battles. It's the Darkling you are worried about."

        I nod.

        "Well, I would love to give you advice on the matter of merzost, but that would be equivalent to me teaching you how to dance in an elegant ballet. I have little knowledge about the subject, so I have no authority to comment."

        "Though, I would love to see your attempt at a pirouette," I tease.

        "I would be fabulous at it, I'm sure."

        He draws a giggle out of me. Then, my face returns to the sour grimace that it was, remembering what grim circumstances we are under.

        "I never liked him," Nikolai remarks.