𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟑 • 𝕃𝕠𝕧𝕖 𝔸𝕝𝕨𝕒𝕪𝕤 𝕎𝕚𝕟𝕤

Just a reminder, madraya means "Mother." Also malen'kiy means "Little One."

"

        ᗰY OᖴᖴIᑕE IS EᗰᑭTY and dark other than the dying light of the fireplace

        Y OᖴᖴIE IS EᗰᑭTY and dark other than the dying light of the fireplace. Not a second prior, Alina was standing right beside me, looking down at me with those glittering brown eyes. It is nice to know she still feels my absence or else she wouldn't seek out the tether at all. It is also useful to know she is still well. Ivan informed me yesterday that Alina has most likely crossed the border into Shu Han given they searched all the paths of the bordering Ravkan towns with no sign of her. My hands clench into fists under the desk as I think about my failure to find her. I was away for days in search of her, but she must have taken a rural, faraway road to evade me.

It was on the fourth day that Ivan informed me of the likelihood that she crossed into Shu Han. Ivan's undying loyalty to me saved him from death this time, but he knows I will make good on my promise if any harm comes to her, to my Alina. The threat still stands, making him all the more efficient in his work. I will not allow him or any of my soldiers to rest until she is rescued. The same goes for me. What little sleep I've had has been due to my body demanding it.

I know Alina wouldn't want me to be weighing my tactics to get her back. She thinks she has found a solution, but she should know by now that I will do anything to have her by my side. I will not live a lonely eternity anymore. Not after glimpsing a future with her, a bright future where I might actually get to be happy. She makes me feel like I deserve happiness.

I won't lose her again.

There is a knock at my door, too quiet and timid to be Ivan or one of my Oprikniki. I bring myself to my feet and open the door. I look down to find bright blue eyes staring up at me. A long sigh escapes me. "It's late, malen'kiy. You should be in bed."

Amelia fiddles with the sleeves of her night dress. "I can't sleep. Not without madraya."

I let out another long breath. "I know the feeling. Come here."

She lifts her arms and wraps them around my neck as I pick her up and make my way to the chair at my desk. After I sit, she settles in my lap, curling into me as close as she can. In the beginning, giving this type of affection was forced on my end. Now, it almost feels natural as my hand drifts up and down her back in a soothing manner.